Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot load certain websites in 12.04

Beans

Question Cannot load certain websites in 12.04

Ok first off, I am not very experienced with linux. I have only just installed it today so bare with me if I am unsure how to access certain things and mess with the terminal. I installed the Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit flavor using a bootable USB. I went through the installer and chose to boot alongside my Windows 7 OS. Everything installs fine, im able to access the internet but I cannot get on websites such as Facebook and some of my university sites. I have tried getting on these sites using Firefox, Chrome, and Chromium and all give me the same problem. I don't believe this is a network problem as I have no problem getting on any website while in Windows 7. I have tried searching for a solution to this problem for a while and it seems that many others have the same issues but it appears no real fix has been found.

I figured making a new post about this would not only put out the specifics of my problem but also get knowledge of this issue circulating a bit more for others having similar problems.
    Does anyone have an idea what could possibly be the issue here? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Cannot load certain websites in 12.04

Hello,

I can try my best to help you.

Can you take a picture of the access problem or describe what it does? Does it simply not let you visit the sites with a given report, or does the page never load?

To take pictures in Ubuntu (since you said you are new?), go to the left screen and click the Dash button (the computer searching "engine") that looks like this (< clickable, also, mine is a different color because I changed themes so don't worry about it) and type in "screenshot". You should see this;

http://s1.postimage.org/59lkv2wbj/Untitled.png

Click it and then take a picture of the problem you encounter in Firefox, i.e if it gives a "connection" error or a "blocked site" error. Next upload the file to a place like postimage and then post the URL here for us to see. Or, you can write down the problem and post it here.

Also, go to the preferences in Mozila (or the browser of you choice) and go to Advanced > Network > settings and make sure no proxy is on. It think this is definitely a security issue, at least without seeing the actual problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

It might be a Flash problem, I think.

Did you install the Ubuntu-restricted-extras package?

Read about it here
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

There is a link to an similar article specifically referring to flash a bit of the way down, under the heading "web".
    Michael

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Most likely issue is flash and the installing the restricted extras package should fix it. See previous post for link

If not can you provide a link to some of the sites that don't work. It may give us a clue why.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Hill View Post
    If not can you provide a link to some of the sites that don't work. It may give us a clue why.
    Quote Originally Posted by efinlaw View Post
    ... Facebook and some of my university sites.
    There's a few.

Are there others we can test like Facebook? Facebook does lag sometimes and I can't get on either. That is their end, not mine.

Uni servers not down for maintenance?

Beans

I have installed the restricted extras package but unfortunately there was no change. Here is a screenshot of what happens when I try to access some of these sites. There is no error message, the page simply does not load. As you can see, the "Welcome to Facebook" greeting appears in the tab but just shows the loading wheel and does not actually connect. I have waited to see if maybe it is just slow but it never loads.

http://postimage.org/image/mqojph21f/

I also tried changing my firefox networks settings to no proxy and still nothing.
    Here are a few other sites that do not work:
    http://ecampus.wvu.edu/
    http://masteringphysics.com/
    https://twitter.com/

EDIT: Twitter now loads but only partially. ie. images for reply, favorite, etc are showing up as boxes
    Last edited by efinlaw; January 22nd, 2013 at 07:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

There is something wrong with those last three links. They all lead back to a page here where I am logged out.
    Michael

Beans

Sorry, should be good now.

Beans

sometimes these connection issues on an otherwise working connection are due to packet fragmentation / blocked ICMP echo requests (aka a routing 'black hole') - can you try this in a terminal

Code:
    ping -s 1472 -c 4 -M do google.com
    and post back the results please?

Beans

--- google.com ping statistics ---
    4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3003ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 25.892/31.420/41.053/5.767 ms

There was no packet loss for Facebook either

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast