Thread: Changing permissions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Changing permissions

I used gksudo nautilus to consolidate a boatload of files from various old hard drives. I want to take ownership of all these files.
    using gksudo and nautilus, then highlighting a folder, then selecting "permissions" and changing the user and group then selecting "apply permissions to enclosed files" does not change the permissions for the folders inside that folder.
    using # sudo chown -R myself:myself /whateverfolder alsoseems to change the top layer only.

Looking around it seems that chown -R should do it. What am I doing wrong????

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Changing permissions

Quote Originally Posted by gbrowning View Post
    I used gksudo nautilus to consolidate a boatload of files from various old hard drives. I want to take ownership of all these files.
    using gksudo and nautilus, then highlighting a folder, then selecting "permissions" and changing the user and group then selecting "apply permissions to enclosed files" does not change the permissions for the folders inside that folder.
    using # sudo chown -R myself:myself /whateverfolder alsoseems to change the top layer only.

Looking around it seems that chown -R should do it. What am I doing wrong????
    Where does the folder reside? Could it be on a partition that is formated NTFS?
    -BAB1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by bab1 View Post
    ... on a partition that is formated NTFS?

Yes, good question. NTFS wont take the Linux permissions.

The gksudo nautilus and the chown method as you describe them seem correct to me. I don't think you are doing anything wrong as such...
    Michael

Beans
    Distro

The folders are on a drive which is MBR and formatted EXT4. This was at one point a boot drive. The original partitioning is still intact.
    Might the permissions have been altered by using Nautilus as superuser?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The folders are on a drive which is MBR and formatted EXT4. This was at one point a boot drive. The original partitioning is still intact.
    Might the permissions have been altered by using Nautilus as superuser?
    What is the output of
    Code:
    mount
    Is it possible that this partition is mounted read only (ro)?

Where in the file system (partition) is this folder? Could it be something like /home/you/somefolder or /mnt/somefolder/anotherfolder ? If you want help you need to be more specific.
    -BAB1

Beans
    Distro

After re-booting the permissions and icons are correct. This might have been resolved by unmounting and remounting the drive. Hold on... conducting an experiment.......have a drive in nearly an identical state but with just a bunch of trash on it....GUID, EXT4, no swap,...changed permissions using gksudo and nautilus trying entire drive did not work....unmounted, remounted...still the same....using sudo chown -R me:me /media/driveX......This worked as expected without rebooting or re-mounting.
    Thanks for your help gentlemen, the problem is resolved but the mystery remains. Nautilus under sudo does not seem to be fully recursive until after a reboot? I do not know how the permissions are stored but perhaps moving the files multiple times and then changing the permissions made it necessary to reboot to get the markers straight.

Beans
    Distro

Bab:
    I had moved files around to clear drives from a RAID5 array that had become troublesome. The array had gone read-only and was the source of many of the files. I don't see how but could the origin drive being ro affect the files after they had been copied to the different drive?
    This has changed since yesterday but here is the requested output of mount

/dev/sdb1 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,discard)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
    none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
    none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
    udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
    tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,noatime,mode=1777)
    tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
    none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
    none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
    gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/george/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=george)
    /dev/sdf1 on /media/89c95740-5fd4-4a9c-89b3-610d23def21f type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks)
    /dev/sda1 on /media/646dbd43-89fb-43dd-9cff-444e780565a5 type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Nautilus under sudo does not seem to be fully recursive until after a reboot?
    Now that you mention it, I think I recall having noticed that nautilus doesn't register certain things until you do a refresh. There is an icon in the bar that looks like a blue arrow going in a circle that does this.

It is a while ago, so I can't remember the circumstances exactly, but this may have been the missing link.
    Michael

Beans
    Distro

Sorry for the oversight, I wanted to change all the folders and files on this drive
    /dev/sdf1 on /media/89c95740-5fd4-4a9c-89b3-610d23def21f type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks) So I was using sudo chown -R george:george /media/89c95740-5fd4-4a9c-89b3-610d23def21f