Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Enjoying Fedora 18

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Enjoying Fedora 18

My recommendation for someone wanting to install Fedora 18, or any distribution that uses an installer they have no experience with, is to devote the first one or two installs to practice. If they work, great. But, if not, it's probably operator error, so figure out what went wrong and try again.

Granted, if you are trying to preserve existing data/partitions, you can't do that. But, you can take it as far as committing the partitions before you back off.

If you just need to devote all of your one and only drive to Fedora, the new installer should be very easy.

Also, with the network install and, I think, the DVD install, you can choose between Gnome 3, KDE, Cinnamon, and XFCE (maybe a couple others). MATE's available in the repositories, but you need to do the install first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
    ...no bugs that I am aware of...
    Check that, a minor bug with search and gedit crashing. When selecting a file, through search - gedit crashes. Overall nothing too crazy, but I have down shifted to F17 Gnome 3.4.2 for my production machine. I will hang with F17 until EOL, and then load F19

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    My recommendation for someone wanting to install Fedora 18, or any distribution that uses an installer they have no experience with, is to devote the first one or two installs to practice. If they work, great. But, if not, it's probably operator error, so figure out what went wrong and try again.

Granted, if you are trying to preserve existing data/partitions, you can't do that. But, you can take it as far as committing the partitions before you back off.

If you just need to devote all of your one and only drive to Fedora, the new installer should be very easy.

Also, with the network install and, I think, the DVD install, you can choose between Gnome 3, KDE, Cinnamon, and XFCE (maybe a couple others). MATE's available in the repositories, but you need to do the install first.
    That's not bad advice. MATE is available from the installer if you use the netinst image, just not if you use the DVD.
    Adam Williamson | http://www.happyassassin.net
    Fedora QA Community Monkey

Beans

Recently tried out F18, and honestly I can just switch Ubuntu to Gnome3 desktop environment and get the same feeling.

Still, not a bad distro by any means, its nice that rpmfusion is in there now.

Beans
    Hidden!

I saw this in their advertisement page.

Desktop: Have you ever tried to use a new printer and been frustrated by error messages and having to hunt for the correct driver to install? With the new easy printing feature in Fedora 14, plug your printer in and Fedora automatically finds and installs the correct driver. This feature allows you to print in many different locations and churn out copies within minutes. It's one of several innovations in Fedora 14 that let you take better advantage of your system's hardware.
    I would be real interested to know if this actually works, as
    installing drivers for my Brother Printer is a struggle. BTW this ad was in reference to fedora 17. on ebay.

Anyway my interest is enough that i have ordered the fedora 17 install CD from
    ebay, along with linux mint 14.
    Last edited by offgridguy; February 1st, 2013 at 11:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

OK, it is a week away from F16 going end of life and F18 is one month old...

So I installed F18 Gnome 3 - 64bit, and I am amazed at the smoothness and no bugs

Everything in F18 is working great; and I tested for some of the minor bugs that I encountered with F18 when it was first released - everything fixed.

So again, if you are interested in trying Fedora, I would wait roughly a month after release - to install. If you are looking for long term support, 13 months is what you get with Fedora. No worries installing the latest release when your current Fedora goes EOL - as one month smooths out the new release

The other pleasant surprise with F18: I plugged in my printer, and F18 auto configured it. That's a FIRST for me and Linux - plugged in printer and then hit print on my document... and I have a printed document

Beans

I traded off Ubuntu 12.04 and Fedora 17 for quite a while...I considered the two about equal in stability, with F17 being a bit faster/more responsive.

Ubuntu 12.10 was not stable on my machine (not sure why). So I waited patiently for F18. The new features are really nice. This is the first distro that could connect to my exchange server during a live session. Quite impressed.

Beans

Anyone thinking of trying Fedora must keep in mind that it was never meant to be a rock solid stable distro to begin with. It exists for Red Hat. It is a testing ground for new ideas that might be included into Red Hat in the future.

But if you love tinkering and trying cutting edge software, Fedora is a decent choice.

Beans

Did the F18 netinstall today to have a pure MATE untouched by Gnomish hands.

Took forever to complete but then I usually go out and build a house during the initial Fedora system update. So that was no shock.

F18 is really nice with MATE. It has a proper Gnome 2 layout, not a stylised version as you see with some distros running MATE. That's not a complaint. I just wanted Fedora w/ MATE to look like CentOS/RHEL. And it does. In fact, I'm currently also running Scientific Linux and now I've pimped them both up in the same way, it's hard to tell the difference.

Anyone concerned that some software e.g. XMind doesn't have an rpm version should check out "alien". Unfortunately, alien is not available in Fedora (officially) so what you can do is build the rpms in Ubuntu and copy them across. Or maybe I could take the deb package for alien and transform that to an rpm. Will investigate.

Fedora is a great distro but it takes some work to make it 100% fun-friendly if (like me) you don't want to use the third party Easy-Life service.

Anaconda the installer still confuses me. I'm not scared of many things in Linux but I am scared of Anaconda. Note that it works best i.e. less confusingly if you have already made space on your hard drive. If it will be the only OS and you are happy to take the defaults, then it will also be easy.

Gnome 2 is the past but then so are vinyl records.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Mills View Post
    Anyone thinking of trying Fedora must keep in mind that it was never meant to be a rock solid stable distro to begin with.
    I've tested many Linux distros... the two most rock solid distros are Debian and Fedora.

Not sure why people tag Fedora as bleeding edge? Fedora has Rawhide - bleeding edge; and Debian has Sid - bleeding edge. Debian with backports is nice, but equally as nice is Fedora. There is definitely more up to date software in Fedora, which some may equate to fast change.

There is a reason Fedora and Debian are the cores to so many Linux distros... rock solid stability

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast