Thread: Atari files bankruptcy

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Atari files bankruptcy

Atari is filing bankruptcy and they are selling off their logo and video game titles.

First Hostess, and now Atari. What is this world coming to?
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Re: Atari files bankruptcy

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Atari is filing bankruptcy and they are selling off their logo and video game titles.

First Hostess, and now Atari. What is this world coming to?
    That's not 'really' Atari as most of us know it. Atari died in 1984, it just kept on being brought by different companies each time it died or came to near death. The latest death is actually Infogames dying if I can put it that way.

Someone new will probably buy it or the name and so we carry on beating the dead horse that is Atari

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    That's not 'really' Atari as most of us know it. Atari died in 1984, it just kept on being brought by different companies each time it died or came to near death. The latest death is actually Infogames dying if I can put it that way.

Someone new will probably buy it or the name and so we carry on beating the dead horse that is Atari
    I know you're right about that. And also, Hostess will be selling their snack cake department in March, so maybe we'll get our Twinkies and Ding Dongs back, too.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you've never tried a Twinkie, it's too late. The company behind the iconic American snack is going under
    Well that's the end of that plan then. I had always intended to try a twinkie if I ever visit the USA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    Well that's the end of that plan then. I had always intended to try a twinkie if I ever visit the USA
    Come on over anyway. There are plenty of other, possibly life shortening, foodstuffs around.
    Come around during the summer and go to any state fair and enjoy some fried butter, or other inventively gluttonous culinary creations.

For the record though, I actually love twinkies. And I'm the only person over 5 years old I know who still does.

And yeah, the Atari thing is just a business maneuver. It'll be around in some form.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I did my first programming on an Atari "Basic" cartridge when I was just a kid. I think it had enough memory for 10 lines or something like that. Great memories nonetheless.

Beans

I was just about to ask why you guys don't have Twinkies in the UK as we have them in SA. Closer inspection reveals we actually have Tinkies and not Twinkies locally. I never even noticed the name and always though we had them over here

http://www.tinkies.co.za/

Twinkies however are still being made in Canada so maybe they can send some across the border. If not maybe I should look at exporting Tinkies to the US

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinkie
    Twinkie production in the United States ceased in November 2012, but it is still being produced in Canada by Saputo Incorporated's Vachon Inc. (at a bakery in Montreal) which owns the Canadian rights for the product.
    Last edited by mips; January 22nd, 2013 at 09:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Well, like I said earlier, Hostess is selling their snack cake line to another company. We'll probably see a reappearance of Twinkies, Cupcakes, and Ding Dongs later this year.