Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fix dead hard drive?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Fix dead hard drive?

It is possible to use preinstallation environment tools to repair windows, simple repair like chkdsk /f

1. a Windows install disk
    2. BartPE
    3. Windows PE
    4. Windows 7 PE

And as mentioned by alphaamanitin, there are special boot disks with repair tools for Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by alphaamanitin View Post
    You can try putting the drive back in, and running the windows boot manager repair program from a windows install disk, or use SuperGrub to check. It makes me think that the MBR on the drive for windows is damaged.

AlphaA
    Yes, I forgot to mention I tried a windows repair disk, but for some reason that gave me the same disk read error.

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    It is possible to use preinstallation environment tools to repair windows, simple repair like chkdsk /f

1. a Windows install disk
    2. BartPE
    3. Windows PE
    4. Windows 7 PE
    Alright, I'm looking into BartPE, thanks for that. The e2fsck -f /dev/sdb5 command is still running, at this point I'm just spamming the y key, I'll update when I'm done with that.
    The main difference between Windows forums and the Ubuntu forums is that the Ubuntu forums has hundreds of questions and thousands of answers, but Windows forums just have hundreds of questions.
    As for the OS X forums, I wouldn't know, I'm too poor.

Beans
    Distro

Well, the e2fsck -f /dev/sdb5 command is taking forever to move along, so I figured I'd give an update. Here's the last thing it outputed:

clone_file_block: internal error: can't find dup_blk for 18907964
    Just for the heck of it, I decided to fire up gparted to see what it said about my HDD. It still has the error on my windows partition, but I'm pleased to say it recognized my Ubuntu partition was ext4! Granted, it was still complaining that my superblock magic number was invalid, and that it couldn't read the contents, but that's progress! Not bad considering the repair command thingy still hasn't finished.
    The main difference between Windows forums and the Ubuntu forums is that the Ubuntu forums has hundreds of questions and thousands of answers, but Windows forums just have hundreds of questions.

Beans
    Distro

e2fsck -f /dev/sdb5 is still running, and it's still stuck on that same error. If I were to kill that process, do you think it will mess things up further, or will I keep what progress I've made, or what?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuyWithTheFace View Post
    e2fsck -f /dev/sdb5 is still running, and it's still stuck on that same error. If I were to kill that process, do you think it will mess things up further, or will I keep what progress I've made, or what?
    Give it a chance to finish! It can take hours, depending on what it needs to do and the speed and size of the drive. I think you connected via USB2, so it will be slow, much slower than an internal SATA connection.

Good luck

Beans
    Distro

Well, call me impatient, but I eventually did give up... That being said, I really appreciate everyone's quick responses, and since I believe they will be very useful to anyone else with my problem, I'm still gonna mark this as solved.

Beans

Howdy,

I'm getting this exact same error. @TheGuyWithTheFace how long did you wait until you gave up? And how big was your HDD? 20/40/100/500GB?

I using a live CD and I received the following error when I tried to mount the LVM:

mount wrong fs type bad option bad superblock on /dev/mapper/

And I received the following error when I first tried to run e2fsck:
    e2fsck -y -f /dev/mapper/vgname/lvname
    The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 12453462 blocks
    The physical size of the device is 10093482 blocks
    Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!

So I ran the following command:
    mke2fs -S /dev/mapper/vgname/lvname

It didn't take very long, and after that I ran this command:
    e2fsck -y -f /dev/mapper/vgname/lvname

And this is pumping out the following error:
    clone_file_block: internal error: can't find dup_blk for <inode_number>

I loosely followed these instructions: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...6#post10434656

Any help would be appreciated. I lost about 2 weeks worth of work.
    Last edited by calebunleashed; May 10th, 2013 at 10:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Hello calebunleashed, welcome to the forums!

The drive size was 600Gb, and I waited for at least a day or so. (I think, but the details are a bit fuzzy now.) Granted, that was a cheap laptop hard drive, so yours may be quite a bit faster. Aside from that I'm afraid I don't have much to contribute, I actually don't know a whole lot about how the filesystem works on that level.

I'm sorry I don't have more to offer, but tell me if there's anything I can do to help, and good luck!

Beans
    Hidden!

Hello calebunleashed,

Start

You can start by checking the S.M.A.R.T. status, either from the BIOS menus or with the program smartctl (install smartmontools).

Code:
     sudo apt-get install smartmontools
    Backup

If your data are valuable enough (and two weeks of work should be), suggest that you clone the faulty disk to another drive (an external HDD drive) using ddrescue if there are hardware errors, or otherwise some other cloning tool would do fine, for example Clonezilla.

There is a vert good tutorial in the manual file of ddrescue

Code:
    info ddrescue
    Repair

Then, you can start trying to restore the file system with different methods. These methods are powerful, but there is a risk, that they cause more damage than improvement. For example try testdisk or gpart. You find information about them and how to get them on the Internet. The best thing is cases like this is to boot the computer from another drive (not the drive with the bad partition).

Recovery

If there is no way to restore the file system, you can try PhotoRec, which can recover data directly from the storage area on the disk without help from the file system. Originally recovering photos from flash cards, it is now recovering most common file types for documents etc. The file names and the directory structure are not recovered, so you have to do a lot of manual work to restore the most important files.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12