Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: user acct will not log in

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    66
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Angry user acct will not log in

    HI all I have Ubuntu 12.04.1 and after I installed a new vid card I can not log in to my user acct. could some one please help me with this. I have two other users on this pc but I am the admin for it and that user acct is the one I can not get into through the GUI. I have looked in the log files but I can not find what is causing this to do this.
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 28994

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    66
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: user acct will not log in

    Quote Originally Posted by badman35 View Post
    HI all I have Ubuntu 12.04.1 and after I installed a new vid card I can not log in to my user acct. could some one please help me with this. I have two other users on this pc but I am the admin for it and that user acct is the one I can not get into through the GUI. I have looked in the log files but I can not find what is causing this to do this.
    I have looked all through this forum for answers but none of them help at all. So I'll give more info on this thread.. I changed out my old nvidia gforce fx vid card with a zotac GT220 card. I upgraded the vid driver to current and uninstalled 173. Now most games work very nicely now. But my admin acct won't load on log in it just returns to the greeter screen. Pressing ctrl+alt+f1 will let me log in changing to gdm does not work for this one acct but as I stated before I can log on to it on command line. All the other user accts work great it does freeze up now and then when playing some games but a restart always brings it back and it works from then on. So could someone PLEASE give me some HELP!!!!!!! I need back into this acct.
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 28994

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Beans
    4,579

    Re: user acct will not log in

    Log in with the account at the Ctr-Alt-F1 virtual terminal

    Now check the ownership and permissions on your account's home dir and Xauthority/ICEauthority files

    Code:
    ls -ld $HOME
    
    ls -l $HOME/.{ICE,X}authority

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    66
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: user acct will not log in

    Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    Log in with the account at the Ctr-Alt-F1 virtual terminal

    Now check the ownership and permissions on your account's home dir and Xauthority/ICEauthority files

    Code:
    ls -ld $HOME
    
    ls -l $HOME/.{ICE,X}authority
    ok what am I looking for??? Oh and by the way thanks for your help..
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 28994

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    66
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: user acct will not log in

    done checking and it looks like I still have ownership of the acct.
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 28994

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Beans
    4,579

    Re: user acct will not log in

    the directory needs to be owned / writable by you, and the authority files need to be owned by you and -rw------ (mode 600)

    Code:
    $ ls -ld $HOME
    drwxr-xr-x 47 steeldriver steeldriver 4096 Jan 20 16:50 /home/steeldriver
    $
    $ ls -l $HOME/.{ICE,X}authority
    -rw------- 1 steeldriver steeldriver 26124 Jan 20 16:50 /home/steeldriver/.ICEauthority
    -rw------- 1 steeldriver steeldriver    53 Jan 20 16:50 /home/steeldriver/.Xauthority
    $

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    66
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: user acct will not log in

    Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    the directory needs to be owned / writable by you, and the authority files need to be owned by you and -rw------ (mode 600)

    Code:
    $ ls -ld $HOME
    drwxr-xr-x 47 steeldriver steeldriver 4096 Jan 20 16:50 /home/steeldriver
    $
    $ ls -l $HOME/.{ICE,X}authority
    -rw------- 1 steeldriver steeldriver 26124 Jan 20 16:50 /home/steeldriver/.ICEauthority
    -rw------- 1 steeldriver steeldriver    53 Jan 20 16:50 /home/steeldriver/.Xauthority
    $
    Mine looks like your post but my user name instead.
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 28994

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    66
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: user acct will not log in

    ***bump****
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 28994

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •