Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Suggestions BEFORE I attempt to run Virtualization?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Any Suggestions BEFORE I attempt to run Virtualization?

Quote Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
    1) I don't think my cpu supports hw virtualization.
    I don't know, but you can find out easily. Run VirtualBox, create a VM, and start to run it (even if there's nothing to run). If it starts, you can virtualize.

However, if this is an old computer, I would seriously consider dual-booting instead of using a VM. The systems will run much faster.

2) Anyway, I ordered a 2 GB ram module to replace the 1 GB in the machine, which will bring it up to 4 GB, so that may help.
    If you dual-boot, that will give you nice fast system.

However, I think I have the old Win XP discs from my previous laptop, a Compaq from 2003. I could try that if Vista is too slow?
    You certainly could. XP would run very fast on 4Gb. Many people prefer XP to Vista, but the problem is that XP will not be supported much longer, so Vista is probably a better idea.

4) Whatever Windows version I use, will I need to to all the updates/service packs? just once, right?
    Yes. Just do the usual updates. If you have broadband, it will take you an entire day (Microsoft's "clever" idea to do updates in many stages). Without broadband, it will take even longer.

5) Also, would I need to or should I install anti-virus, firewall, and anti-malware on the windows VM?
    Yes, indeed. I would simply go with the standard Microsoft Security Essentials, which works well and fast; it includes the firewall and anti-malware. You could go for other proprietary systems if you prefer, but I have found Security Essentials to do the job.

If you are running behind a router, that will give you extra protection.

If you decide to use a VM instead of dual-boot, once your Windows VM is set up to your satisfaction, snapshot it. That will allow you to regress quickly should it become infected.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Running 16gig here solely to facilitate multiple vms...
    Haha how many VM's do you run?

Beans

Actually after a recent cleanup perhaps not so many . I attach a screenshot...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12