Thread: Extract hardcoded subtitles from AVI?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Question Extract hardcoded subtitles from AVI?

Hello,

I have an AVI video with hardcoded subtitles (the subtitles are part of the actual video). Can anyone recommend any software for Ubuntu to extract (via OCR - optical character recognition) hardcoded subtitles? Are there any tools? I googled the Internet, but so far I can only find tools for Windows.

Thank you in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Extract hardcoded subtitles from AVI?

hi mrs hardcoded i thought was impossible to remove/separate

could be wrong tho but i have never seen info which would let one do that
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hello shantiq, I know there are tools for Windows (AviSubDetector, for instance) to "read" the hardcoded subtitles fro an AVI by character recognition and turning them into text. I was wondering if there are tools for Linux/Ubuntu, too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Would be very much interested in the same thing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I don't think you mean hard coded then. AVI is a container type and so it may or may not be possible to extract the subs depending on if it really is hard coded (was rendered as part of the video) or if they have a separate channel. An easy way to test that is to see if any players you have will let you turn off the subs (if it's hard coded, then this will not be possible). I know how you can do this for .mkv files, but unfortunately I don't know for .avi.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm sorry, I misread, I guess you understand the difficulties, since you're asking about OCR, that would theoretically be possible even for hard subs but it could be quite error prone and I don't know anything that does it off hand. You could make a new sub file yourself (aka, manually transcribe), unless you have a lot of files to do this for it may be less work than getting OCR working.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by MrsUser View Post
    Hello shantiq, I know there are tools for Windows (AviSubDetector, for instance) to "read" the hardcoded subtitles fro an AVI by character recognition and turning them into text. I was wondering if there are tools for Linux/Ubuntu, too.
    wow that is far out .... i always understood that hardcoded meant fused with the image and therefore unremoveable but you say there is software available now that can read the words and move them to text

it has installed perfectly well under Wine [and is free] all i need now is to find an avi with hardcoded sub to test it ... will give it a whirl
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt