Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Set "System-restore-point"?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Re: Set "System-restore-point"?

    Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    There are pro's and con's to update manager, myself I don't even have it installed.
    Well yeah. Me neither, but I think for someone new to linux, it's probably a good idea rather than remembering to use CLI utilities every so often.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Beans
    388
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Set "System-restore-point"?

    Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    There are pro's and con's to update manager, myself I don't even have it installed.
    I've never had an issue with update manager causing malfunctions since 8.04,but then again I only use LTS's

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    12,744

    Re: Set "System-restore-point"?

    Not having "System Restore" available in Linux can actually be viewed as a good thing -- as folks in Windows often assume this means restoring the "whole" system, when in fact, it does not. It's not a Time Machine; instead, when some upgrades get performed, Windows squirrels off copies of the system files being changed. When you do a System Restore, all it does then is overwrite some system files with those older copies.

    Which is why many folks in Windows use imaging apps (like Acronis or Macrium Reflect) to make full system backups -- which do allow the restoration of the "whole" system.

    You can, and should, consider doing the same thing using Clonezilla. It only takes a few minutes to run and can save you HOURS of work should you need to restore your system.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Beans
    57

    Re: Set "System-restore-point"?

    Dear All,

    Thanks for all your comments!

    Ill keep my semi-automatic off - and check manually once twice a week!

    And - give Clonezilla a try!

    Cheers

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Set "System-restore-point"?

    Good idea

    With Clonezilla images you will be able to restore the whole drive. Take new images at regular intervals, for example once a week or month, depending of how much new data you need to save. And take an extra backup if (for example) you just made a lot of new pictures.

    If you have a lot of pictures, video clips, music files or other well compressed files, it might be a good idea to keep those data on a separate partition, and back it up some other way, for example with rsync (with or without a GUI). I use Unison for that purpose.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Beans
    57

    Re: Set "System-restore-point"?

    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Good idea

    With Clonezilla images you will be able to restore the whole drive. Take new images at regular intervals, for example once a week or month, depending of how much new data you need to save. And take an extra backup if (for example) you just made a lot of new pictures.

    If you have a lot of pictures, video clips, music files or other well compressed files, it might be a good idea to keep those data on a separate partition, and back it up some other way, for example with rsync (with or without a GUI). I use Unison for that purpose.
    Hi sododus,
    Do I need to take images with regular intervals? The "MediaPlayer", as we call it, is in my sons room, and is only used as a "Mediaplayer". All media lives on a HP server in our basement - so there is not any media at all on the "Mediaplayer"!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Set "System-restore-point"?

    No, when there are no major changes of the system (only updating), and no personal data (media files etc), you can restore the system from a rather old image (and update the system from there). That's OK.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Beans
    57

    Re: Set "System-restore-point"?

    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    No, when there are no major changes of the system (only updating), and no personal data (media files etc), you can restore the system from a rather old image (and update the system from there). That's OK.
    Great - thanks for info

    Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •