Thread: Software that can detect type of CD / DVD

Beans

Software that can detect type of CD / DVD

Hi,

I wonder if there is any software that can detect the exact type of optical discs ie whether it is a CD or DVD. Then what type it is ie CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD-RW. I know this sounds a bit stupid and the media has written on it as to what type it is, but I would love to use this software as there are times when I get DVDs with no label on it. Thanks a lot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Software that can detect type of CD / DVD

Of course you can, only for DVDs though.
    Code:
    dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd
    You can even compare its media id against this list here and see if you have actually bought good quality discs.

Hope that helps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kostkon View Post
    Code:
    dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd

Thanks for the command you gave, it works for all types of dvds that I happen to have ie dvd-r, dvd+r, dvd-rw and dvd+rw. But its a shame that it is only for dvds. I just found out that Nero Info Tool as part of Nero Burning software package gives a great deal of info about various types of optical discs once inserted into the dvd/cd drive, but it works in Windows only.

Please see the link below. It shows a series of tabs namely Drive, Disc, Configuration etc. If you click on the Disc tab, it will show you all the info about a disc that you might have put in your drive. Thanks. I am sure there must be some other way to find out what I want.

http://www.hotdl.com/dl/uploads/20111116214353.png

Beans

the burner k3b seems to, though i didnt test for cd. in the top-left area it says about media, you can right-click for more info.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by black veils View Post
    the burner k3b seems to, though i didnt test for cd. in the top-left area it says about media, you can right-click for more info.
    I can confirm that k3b also identifies audio CDs and data CDs.

So if you are happy with a GUI application, use k3b