Thread: Aliases for the Application Finder?

Beans

Aliases for the Application Finder?

Hello everyone,

I'm using Ubuntu 12.10 with XFCE. I really like XFCE, but one thing annoys me: the terrible long name of its terminal application ("xfce4-terminal").

My question is: can I somehow create a permanent alias which allows me to run a new terminal instance from the Application Finder (ALT+F2) by simply typing "terminal" instead of "xfce4-terminal"?

I already tried to create an alias in "/home/user/.bash_aliases", which works from inside an existing terminal, but the Application Finder seems to ignore this file...

Thanks,

Alan

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Aliases for the Application Finder?

You are right, it is not convenient. By the way, running lubuntu-desktop in a system with 'all four desktop environments': Ubuntu 12.04 with lubuntu-desktop, xubuntu-desktop and kubuntu-desktop I get quick choices on a menu while typing, so I need not type more than say xfc to get all available completions.

But why not use the full power of a terminal window (with aliases, tab-completion etc)? In Xubuntu you can right-click on the desktop background and select 'Open terminal here'. Quick and easy

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Or just put a launcher in a panel.

If you need an alias, just create one in ~/.bashrc - towards the end of the file...

Code:
    #myaliases
    alias myterm = xfce4-terminal
    logout and in again for it to take. Probably won't work in Application Finder, but that is the long way round to open a terminal.
    The best things in life are free, so what are we paying for?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Merrattic View Post
    Or just put a launcher in a panel.

If you need an alias, just create one in ~/.bashrc - towards the end of the file...

Code:
    #myaliases
    alias myterm = xfce4-terminal
    logout and in again for it to take. Probably won't work in Application Finder, but that is the long way round to open a terminal.
    +1
    I think there is a launcher for a terminal window in the default xubuntu desktop at least in some versions. Pull the mouse cursor to the bottom edge of the screen, and a panel will become visible. You can add launchers to that panel.

Beans

First of all, thanks for your responses
    I know that there are several ways to open a terminal. But somehow, I really got used to starting literally *everything* via ALT+F2 (imho one of *the* greatest inventions of the entire OS). And an application that I need as often as a terminal should have a shorter name than that, even if the Application Finder supports auto-completion (unfortunately, there are many applications starting with "xfce4-", so you have to type *at least* "xfce4-t"). But if the application finder is resistant against any aliases, I'll just have to stick with that...

Thanks,

Alan

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_D. View Post
    First of all, thanks for your responses
    I know that there are several ways to open a terminal. But somehow, I really got used to starting literally *everything* via ALT+F2 (imho one of *the* greatest inventions of the entire OS). And an application that I need as often as a terminal should have a shorter name than that, even if the Application Finder supports auto-completion (unfortunately, there are many applications starting with "xfce4-", so you have to type *at least* "xfce4-t"). But if the application finder is resistant against any aliases, I'll just have to stick with that...

Thanks,

Alan
    It does not see your aliases, but there are always ways to fix it. You can make a symbolic link to the executable file. It must be in the system path, and should have a unique name, so that it won't 'steal' another command
    Code:
    echo $PATH
    Example: Check that there is no command with the name xt
    Code:
    which xt
    Maybe you should also check on the internet that there is no xt program in linux (that you might need later on).
    Find the command to be linked and put the link in the same directory
    Code:
    which xfce4-terminal
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/bin/xfce4-terminal /usr/bin/xt
    Finally you can use xt instead of that long cumbersome string.

Beans

@Sudodus: Thanks, that's awesome Works perfectly now, thank you very much!

Beans
    Hidden!

You are welcome, I'm glad it works for you

Please click on Thread Tools at the top of this page and mark this thread as SOLVED