Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Networking problems (Static IP...)

Beans

Networking problems (Static IP...)

Hello every one!

Actually I have some troubles trying to configure my network as static.

Everything works fine when I use DHCP protocol but when I change my interface file (/etc/network) to static (see below) then reboot , it doesn't work :/ I've already purged network-manager.

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 172.20.46.75
    netmask 255.255.252.0
    network 172.20.46.0
    broadcast 172.20.47.255
    gateway 172.20.47.254

(I'm sure that this adresses are correct)

I also inserted manually the DNS servernames in the resolv.conf and added in interfaces the information below but none of this methods worked.

dns-nameservers 155.69.24.8
    dns-nameservers 155.69.5.5
    dns-search ntu.edu.sg

As you can see i'm connected through my university network, while being connected to internet using dhcp i noticed that I can't ping google or any other ip a part from the ips present in my subnet and the dns servers, i always get "search timed out"... Is this related to the first problem? because of some configuration in the university routers that doesn't allow static ips ? firewalls?

Thanks in advance for the answers!
    Last edited by Amjad14; January 20th, 2013 at 08:42 AM.

Beans

Re: Networking problems (Static IP...)

Not sure how the network is configured for the University. as for ping it can be blocked/disabled within firewall rules. Typically static assignments are done outside of the dhcp server range so they do not cause address conflicts on the network. Is there any reason your trying to set a static address?
    To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so.
    Author: Robert Orben

Beans

I'm trying to set a static ip on my raspberry pi to use it as a server.
    so if typically static assignments are done outside of the dhcp server range, what are the reasons that don't let the static ip assignement work?
    I'm experimenting the static ip assignement on my computer (ubuntu 12.1) before doing it on the rasp. I change my interfaces configuration then reboot but still cannot access to internet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Amjad14 View Post
    I'm trying to set a static ip on my raspberry pi to use it as a server.
    so if typically static assignments are done outside of the dhcp server range, what are the reasons that don't let the static ip assignement work?
    I'm experimenting the static ip assignement on my computer (ubuntu 12.1) before doing it on the rasp. I change my interfaces configuration then reboot but still cannot access to internet.
    Networks can be set up many different ways and for many reasons one of which is in an attempt to prevent rouge servers or access points from causing issues to the rest of the network. Based on the information you gave with an address and subnet of
    Calculated shows there are 1022 possible ip addresses. What I would do then is set your ubuntu machine for dhcp the run the following command in a terminal so you do not have to reboot
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    check that you are truly connected to the web then I would copy the information and change it back to static making sure that the
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address your ip
    netmask 255.255.252.0
    gateway 172.20.47.254
    are all correct and should work. With all this keep in mind that if the network manager detects an unauthorized server on the network they can block it completely and youll have further connectivity issues. Further a better option in your case would be to check out a service like DynDNS
    Last edited by chadk5utc; January 20th, 2013 at 10:17 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chadk5utc View Post
    Networks can be set up many different ways and for many reasons one of which is in an attempt to prevent rouge servers or access points from causing issues to the rest of the network. Based on the information you gave with an address and subnet of

Calculated shows there are 1022 possible ip addresses. What I would do then is set your ubuntu machine for dhcp the run the following command sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart in a terminal so you do not have to reboot, check that you are truly connected to the web then I would copy the information and change it back to static making sure that the are all correct and should work.
    This is exactely what i have done, when i use the command ifconfig it provides all the information that i entered in the interfaces file, but it still doesn't work.
    I noticed that when i launch firefox it doesn't tell directly that there is internet connexion but takes a long time loading before it tells me that firefox cannot reach the server.
    And btw I discovered a EPIC bug in my system, whenever i use the command "sudo /etc/init.d/networking " , the OS stops working , the graphic turns off and even the terminal is blocked...

Quote Originally Posted by chadk5utc View Post
    With all this keep in mind that if the network manager detects an unauthorized server on the network they can block it completely and youll have further connectivity issues. Further a better option in your case would be to check out a service like DynDNS
    Hmm... Maybe the problem comes from the network manager limitations...

Beans

This is very possible. there are packages for dyndns although they vary from OS to OS( I know they are available for Ubuntu and Debian, Im sure others)I cant right now remember the name of the package but if you are able to check into this service it may provide you with what your trying to do.

Beans

tenx! i'll try to find a solution in this direction.

But you have no idea why the system stop working when i reinitialize the networking
    i'm still confused...

Beans

tenx! i'll try to find a solution in this direction.

But you have no idea why the system stop working when i reinitialize the networking
    i'm still confused...
    No unfortunately I do not. that command simply restarts networking and should not have affected anything else.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Maybe the problem comes from the network manager limitations...
    If you are in an educational environment, especially in a student context, then chances are good that your network administrators have made special efforts to prevent users from doing exactly what you are trying to do. Technologies like DHCP Snooping and Dynamic ARP Inspection (DAI) can be used to prevent machines from accessing a DHCP-controlled network if they have not received their IP address from the authorized DHCP server.

Before you go to the trouble of setting up Dynamic DNS, check the Terms Of Service (TOS) that cover your Internet connection (as provided by the school, I assume). If the TOS expressly prohibits servers -- and many places do -- then just stop. Even if you do get it working it probably won't be long before the network administrators shut you down anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by GordThompson View Post
    If you are in an educational environment, especially in a student context, then chances are good that your network administrators have made special efforts to prevent users from doing exactly what you are trying to do. Technologies like DHCP Snooping and Dynamic ARP Inspection (DAI) can be used to prevent machines from accessing a DHCP-controlled network if they have not received their IP address from the authorized DHCP server.

Before you go to the trouble of setting up Dynamic DNS, check the Terms Of Service (TOS) that cover your Internet connection (as provided by the school, I assume). If the TOS expressly prohibits servers -- and many places do -- then just stop. Even if you do get it working it probably won't be long before the network administrators shut you down anyway.
    A big +1.

Talk to whoever is in charge of the network.

They will either give you the correct settings needed, or they will tell you that static IP's aren't allowed. Either way you have your answer.
    Cheesemill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast