Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Customizing existing icons

Beans

Re: Customizing existing icons

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    You only should change it in the theme you are editing. The inheritance is used only if an icon doesn't exist in a theme. (This way the theme creators don't need to duplicate every singe image file to create a small variation of a theme, for example a different versions for light and dark panels.)
    I added an image "audio-volume-high.png" to Ubuntu-mono-dark/status/24 but it didn't effect anything. Sorry, I'm pretty new at this stuff, so I'm probably making some obvious mistake.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by jrogge View Post
    I added an image "audio-volume-high.png" to Ubuntu-mono-dark/status/24 but it didn't effect anything. Sorry, I'm pretty new at this stuff, so I'm probably making some obvious mistake.
    Did you log out & back after changing the icon? Some programs load the icons etc when they are started, and don't detect if you change to a different theme (or edit the theme) after that unless you restart the program. (And logging out and back is the easiest way to do that for all programs).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    Did you log out & back after changing the icon? Some programs load the icons etc when they are started, and don't detect if you change to a different theme (or edit the theme) after that unless you restart the program. (And logging out and back is the easiest way to do that for all programs).
    I hadn't, but I just did with no change.
    Does the size of the image matter? It isn't 24x24, and being in the 24x24 folder might mess it up? I'll try changing the size.

Beans

It still didn't work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

In my earlier post I pointed you to a thread ..

you might have missed this link in the thread

http://rafalcieslak.wordpress.com/20...dicator-color/

it explains how to edit *.svg format icons using an svg editor Inkscape

gksudo inkscape /usr/share/icons/ubuntu-mono-light/status/22/indicator-messages-new.svg

Does this answer your question?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly41 View Post
    In my earlier post I pointed you to a thread ..

you might have missed this link in the thread

http://rafalcieslak.wordpress.com/20...dicator-color/

it explains how to edit *.svg format icons using an svg editor Inkscape

gksudo inkscape /usr/share/icons/ubuntu-mono-light/status/22/indicator-messages-new.svg

Does this answer your question?
    Oh, the images need to be .svg 's? I was using .png's because I saw them in other themes. Thank you, I'll try this.

Beans

It didn't work, so I'm going to post exactly what I did.
    1. I created a 16x16 image in inkscape and named it audio-volume-high.
    2. Imoved it into /usr/share/icons/ubuntu-mono-dark/status/16 relogged in, then tried changing the volume through fn-f12
    3. It didn't work, so I put audio-volume-high.svg in .../status/22 and .../status/24 too, relogged in, and tried again. It still didn't work.

Do I need to put the audio-volume-high in the themes ubuntu-mono-dark inherits from as well?

Beans

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 with gnome 3 shell.
    I don't have 12.04 but at least in 13.04 gnome-shell does not use Ubuntu mono-dark icons in it's panel
    So you may need to find out where Gs gets it's icons for the panel
    (could be built-in??, no clue

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    I don't have 12.04 but at least in 13.04 gnome-shell does not use Ubuntu mono-dark icons in it's panel
    So you may need to find out where Gs gets it's icons for the panel
    (could be built-in??, no clue
    I'm not trying to change the panel icons, though. I'm trying to change the image that pious up when I change the volume or screen brightness through fn keys.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It didn't work, so I'm going to post exactly what I did.
    1. I created a 16x16 image in inkscape and named it audio-volume-high.
    2. Imoved it into /usr/share/icons/ubuntu-mono-dark/status/16 relogged in, then tried changing the volume through fn-f12
    3. It didn't work, so I put audio-volume-high.svg in .../status/22 and .../status/24 too, relogged in, and tried again. It still didn't work.

Do I need to put the audio-volume-high in the themes ubuntu-mono-dark inherits from as well?
    no, definitely not. You never need to change any of the inherited themes. That would be the exact opposite of what the inheritance is used for. Like I've already said, the inheritance is only used if the theme itself doesn't have a particular icon.

Anyway, I think your problem is that you are using wrong icon name & location. After taking a look through some icon themes, I'm quite sure the names used for the volume notification popups are "status/scalable/notification-audio-volume-high", "status/scalable/notification-audio-volume-low" and so on. (I might be wrong, though, finding out the correct name each application uses for it's icons can be quite tricky. As you have probably noticed most themes have quite many copies of each icon linked to different names )
    Last edited by mcduck; January 21st, 2013 at 07:38 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast