Thread: Lost NVIDIA driver after upgrade

Beans

Lost NVIDIA driver after upgrade

I just applied about 140 MB of updates to my Xubuntu 12.04 LTS installation. Before the update I had the "NVidia accelerated graphics driver" installed (GeForce GT 440). Afterwards it was gone, the desktop looked awful and I was informed that the NVidia X Server was not in use. I activated/reinstalled the driver again and now it works ok.

Can anyone please tell me what the problem may have been and if there is anything I should do before applying upgrades in order to keep my video card working? It seems to me that Ubuntu and NVidia is a bad match.

Best regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Lost NVIDIA driver after upgrade

In the case an upgrade the driver would be removed but not for an update. If it was an update the software center and synaptic package manager both display update history so checking there might offer a possible cause.

A kernel or xorg update may have required the driver which is 3rd party package to be removed to complete the update. Kernel updates don't cause Nvidia driver problems on my Ubuntu but I don't about Xubuntu.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi: Frogs Hair!

Would an newer version of the kernel (Upgrade) cause the Nvidia driver to be uninstalled?
    -Check yourself before you wreck yourself-

Devuan, MX Linux, Debian 12 & Slackware 15

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

If you were to upgrade only a kernel say, from 3.5 .xx to 3.7.xx on the same Ubuntu version I would think so.

The Nvidia current driver is tested with the kernel provided with the current Ubuntu version. Updates within the same Kernel family have never affected the driver installation for me anyway. Example: 3.5.21 to 3.5.22
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, Hendrik Lund,

Your OP is not clear whether you are asking about an update or an upgrade, there is a difference, and a lot depends on what nvidia driver you had installed, and whether DKMS is available, or has been removed when uninstalling something else.

My experience with kernal updates has been less trouble-free than Frogs Hair reports, but then I have 10 different installations from 10.10 to 12.0 on four different computers, and use lots of different drivers, but in, most cases, any problem has been easily corrected by re-installing the nvidia driver.

The latest update from 3.2.0.5.22 #54 t0 32.0.5.-22-#55 [ from memory ] made a
    real mess of things and nvidia threw up a whole bunch of error messages. I ended up having to purge nvida* altogether and install nvidia-current-experimental-304, as nvidia-installer could not find the files it needed.

Dont be discouraged by not getting answers to 'WHY' questions, stick to the 'HOW' answers!

Chao! bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Xubuntu 10:4
    When i get a kernel update that says (new install) the drivers “accelerated graphics driver" for my Nvidia video card have to be re-installed,
    if it’s just a ordinary kernel update it’s not necessary.

Mike
    Last edited by jim Kane; January 20th, 2013 at 11:55 PM. Reason: formating!!