Thread: Graphical issue

Beans

Graphical issue

I've just installed Ubuntu 12.10 on my laptop. It's an Asus G74-SX. Everything from the installation when smooth as expected with Ubuntu, no issues there. After logging in for the first time, i preceded to install the Steam for Linux beta.

While going through the steps to install, I noticed something very glitchy about the text on the screen. I was in the Ubuntu Software Center, downloading the Steam installation. The text on the UI become incredibly distorted. I've never seen this issue before in my previous installations of Ubuntu.

I've attached a screenshot of the blurred text for reference. Thanks in advance for anyone that can help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Graphical issue

Hi Friend,

I have had the same problem when I installed Ubuntu 12.10 for the first time,
    then I went back to 12.04, now I have tried 12.10 again and it works fine,
    very beautifully!! without Nvidia drivers, if I install the drivers my
    system become very unstable.

Is that your video card?
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M met 3GB/2GB GDDR5 VRAM.

Are you using the drivers of Nvidia?
    if yes try to remove it.
    For me the only configuration that works is

Using X.Org X server--Nouveau display driver from xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (open Source)
    You can find it on Software Sources --Additional Drivers.

Good luck.
    Kind regards.

Beans

Re: Graphical issue

Yea that's the graphics card in my system. It's the 4GB variant.

I tried 12.10 a short while back and installed the Nvidia drivers then. Like you metioned, it was completely screwy so I went back down to 12.04 as well. On this install though, I haven't installed the Nvidia drivers yet, so that graphical issue is with the generic standard drives Ubunut installed.

I wanted to try 12.10 again so I could mess with the Steam Linux beta. I was unaware of the Nouveau drivers, I'll give them a try. Thanks for the suggestion.