Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [Android] Ubuntu One Files feature requests

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb [Android] Ubuntu One Files feature requests

Hi everyone,

I'm a member of ubuntuone-android-hackers team on Launchpad, I work on Ubuntu One Files app. If you would like to see new features in the app, you can post your ideas here. I think the forums is a good and comfortable place to share ideas. We have already received quite a lot of requests via e-mail.

Most notably, these have been already requested:
    - secure app launch with PIN entry
    - preserve folder structure when auto-uploading files
    - real sync (i.e. reupload a file, that has been modified; sync down favorite folders; etc)

We continue to fix bugs and improve on what we already have, this is just to give you a place to share ideas on new features. We will select the best we can take on given available time and resources. I can't guarantee we'll implement them, I can guarantee however that we're doing our best and I'll be keeping track of this official thread.

Cheers!
    Ubuntu One Android Hackers team

PS Please keep in mind this thread is not dedicated to bugs. If you find a bug in U1F, please either file a bug report at
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-android-files
    or comment in an according thread we'll set up for each release. Much thanks!
    Last edited by duanedesign; August 24th, 2011 at 12:26 AM.

Beans

Re: [Android] Ubuntu One Files feature requests

Any chance of a Gallery feature like Dropbox?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That could be a nice feature, I will suggest that to the team. I can't tell anything more at that point, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Post Re: [Android] Ubuntu One Files feature requests

"Support App 2 SD"

To support App 2 SD for Ubuntu One Files we have to consider the following:

Catch broadcast of ACTION_EXTERNAL_APPLICATIONS_AVAILABLE to:
    (1) restart MediaCatcher (lightweight service that waits for new pics)
    (2) reregister failed tranfer alarm

"Your accounts created with AccountManager will disappear until external storage is remounted." -- this could influence future features. We should not assume nothing about the user, but we'd expect they will mount the SD storage back soon.

ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED - we may never get this. We used it for (1) and (2) as well. User would have to launch the app once after phone boot. Not cool.

Finally, apps that have widgets should not be moved to SD. We may provide a widget, but people might choose not to use it and move the app to sd.

All in all, we know you guys are expecting app2sd, we just still have to give it a little more thought, rather than adding 2 lines in the AndroidManifest.xml and hoping for the best.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Question Re: [Android] Ubuntu One Files feature requests

was just in using the u1 android app on my samsung galaxy s2 and i downloaded a file (.pdf).
    that worked BUT when i later went back into that folder, i could not tell which file had been downloaded or not, ie, they all looked the same.

it would be nice to have a little check mark, different color, a symbol or anything that tells me THIS IS A LOCAL FILE.

ps, i'm very grateful for the free 5gigs and free app, thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hello,

Please notice the background color of files that have been downloaded is white, whilst the files which have not been downloaded have grey background. We might make this more obvious some time in the future (a tick, like you suggested, or something similar).

Beans

Love what you guys are doing with Ubuntu One and loving the integration with Android, great job!

Here's my feature suggestion: I just realised that I can not only Sync my Tomboy notes with U1, but I can also view/edit/create them in my web browser! Cool stuff! That makes me think that it would be even cooler if Ubuntu One provided a sync for the 'Sticky Notes' application, or just something like it (one specific note in Tomboy?). Yes this isn't Android specifically, but the use case I'm thinking of would be to have a home screen widget on my phone (like the built-in one, although a lot of the 3rd party ones are better) where I can quickly jot down notes and reminders, having them all sync to my computer so that I remember them later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestion. At the moment, we're focusing on improving our current apps and there's no plan for a Tomboy notes app for Android. We may look into it at some point, and I recognize many users would probably find that very useful.

You might wanna give this a try:
    https://market.android.com/details?i...tomdroid&hl=en

Beans

Hi,

A real sync feature, like on Windows and Linux, would be the best feature. But just the ability to download an entire folder (including all subfolders), and also to download a top level cloud folder would be great.

I'm sure there are a few people like me who probably won't be changing files on their phones much, so don't need a full sync feature, but would like to be able to download everything from a cloud folder.

Thanks!
    Michael

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I don't know if this has been suggested but...

To be able to stream/play .ogg and .flac files?
    If Ubuntu had 31 flavors then we could call it Baskin' Ubuntu.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast