Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DBus error org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.Failed:An operation is already pending

Beans

DBus error org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.Failed:An operation is already pending

I'm new to ubuntu so i have little to no experience dealing with this problem

*-cdrom
    description: DVD reader
    product: CDRW/DVD SN-324S
    vendor: SAMSUNG
    physical id: 0.0.0
    bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
    logical name: /dev/cdrom
    logical name: /dev/cdrw
    logical name: /dev/dvd
    logical name: /dev/scd0
    logical name: /dev/sr0
    logical name: /media/cdrom0
    version: U303
    capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd
    configuration: ansiversion=5 mount.fstype=udf mount.options=ro,nosuid,nodev,utf8 state=mounted status=ready
    *-medium
    physical id: 0
    logical name: /dev/cdrom
    logical name: /media/cdrom0
    configuration: mount.fstype=udf mount.options=ro,nosuid,nodev,utf8 state=mounted

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: DBus error org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.Failed:An operation is already pen

Maybe this works

Ok, I found the solution right after I posted this.
    I deleted /media/.hal-mtab now everything is working properly.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7298991

go to that dir
    you can to ls -a to see the hidden files
    type sudo rm .hal-mtab

Beans

Re: DBus error org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.Failed:An operation is already pen

One solution to this problem is to simply open Gparted (also called partition editor, under System -> Administration)

That caused the usb drive and its files to re-appear in Nautilus.

deleting /media/.hal-mtab didnt' work for me

Beans

I had a similar issue with a USB pen drive.

I deleted the /media/.hal-mtab.lock file but it had no effect.

However, this is what I did to resolve it:

1. Launched 'gconf-editor' and browsed to 'apps / nautilus / preferences'
    - unchecked 'media_automount'
    - unchecked 'media_automount_open'

2. Launched GParted to find the id of the location of the device (/dev/sdf1)

3. ran
    Code:
    sudo mount -t ext3 -o rw,users /dev/sdf1 /media/usb-backup
    nb this took up to one hour to complete

After that the device was available as normal. I unmounted with:
    Code:
    sudo umount /media/usb-backup
    and removed the device

Then re-enabled the Nautilus preferences unset in step 1.

Plugged in the device again and it was found as normal.

Beans

Happened to me on lucid with a cd drive. Drive wouldn't mount unless there was a disk in it at boot. I disabled those two options in gconf-editor, restarted with the drive bay empty (didn't test with the bay full) and reenabled them; success. Thanks, Mash909!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I just had that error on a signature mini usb hard drive and thought it might have to do with the updates I installed last night. (first time I plugged it in since the updates).

I opened gconf-editor while the drive was still plugged in and it mounted on it's own before I could browse to apps/nautilus/preferences.

So it had something to do with just starting the gconf-editor in my case.

Strange

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

OK that didn't completely fix it. the drive mounted but it takes for ever to load all the files in the window and then the cursor keeps spinning and the light on my drive flashing like it does in Windows when indexing is turned on. You know how windows has to index all the files and takes forever while Ubunutu usually just opens the window and shows the files fast? Now my Ubuntu is acting like windows which is very frusterating. There should be nothing writing or reading from the drive if I'm not opening or saving something on it which has been a main gripe of mine about windows.

Also my cpu's go to 100% when I open a folder. It's as if some process is running scanning my drive and slowing it down to a crawl every time I open a folder or try to back up a directory.

Beans

The same with me. I have updated to the latest kernel, samba, gparted and few more and after restart all was fine. Fresh start today lead to: USB mouse worked for a while and now it doesn't work at all. External USB HDD is not loaded either. At the moment all my USB ports seems to be dead. Haven't tried the suggestions above.

Update: I have moved back to 2.6.32-22 kernel and everything works. No time to make checks and debugging
    Last edited by Bernard_ivo; August 26th, 2010 at 11:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The only thing on my system affected was usb drives but what ever happened caused indexes on the drive to get all messed up.

The next day I put it in a windows xp machine and did a disk check which repaired thousands of orphaned files and messed up indexes and took about an hour. Since then everything has been fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i have the same error message when trying to mount my recently unbootable system partition.

i have seperate partitions for windows, linux, linux swap and linux home on my computer.

for the past couple of days i was forced to boot from pendrives, since my system partition is inaccessible.

e2fsck asks me if perhaps the filesystem might be in use by another application exlusively, or whether the partition is mounted, i.e. fsck fails also.

no way to mount this partition?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast