Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I dislike WINE

Beans

Why I dislike WINE

It lags the computer due to memory hogging it takes 6Gb of memory out of 8Gb of memory when I try to launch it. >_< And I have to restart my comp to fix it.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Why I dislike WINE

Not a support question.
    Moved to the cafe.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

When you launch it or when launching a WINE application?

Wine takes little cpu effort or ram usage when i use it.
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans
    Hidden!

You must surely mean when you are running a windows app through wine.

The only thing I have ever done using just wine alone is to configure it with
    Code:
    winecfg
    in terminal which takes very little computer resource.

What application are you trying to run? Perhaps that is a memory/cpu hog.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

Wine doesn't take alot of resources on its own, I believe you're doing it wrong .

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by mJayk View Post
    Wine doesn't take alot of resources on its own, I believe you're doing it wrong .
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I don't like Wine, because it took me two hours in my latest attempt to install MS Office with proper font smoothing enabled. There's always the possibility that something's going to go awry, and it's not a perfect fix even for the apps that work best with it; it would be much, much better to have supported software in the first place. But the task of creating an execution environment for apps designed for another OS, and doing so to such an extent that they're essentially running native, not under emulation, but never even know that they're on the wrong OS, is absurdly complex, and the fact that it ever works at all seems miraculous to me.

I haven't noticed any memory problems, but Office is the only Wine app I use, since it's the only Windows app I use.

Beans
    Hidden!

Wine is awesome. What it makes possible under Linux is incredible.

Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums

Beans

I like Wine. It enables me to use heidisql, which is awesome. Haven't found a better MySQL admin tool yet.

As for MS Office: when i really do need to use it, I load it in virtualbox and print as a PDF which I open in evince. Prefer LaTeX or libreoffice.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    I don't like Wine, because it took me two hours in my latest attempt to install MS Office with proper font smoothing enabled. There's always the possibility that something's going to go awry, and it's not a perfect fix even for the apps that work best with it; it would be much, much better to have supported software in the first place. But the task of creating an execution environment for apps designed for another OS, and doing so to such an extent that they're essentially running native, not under emulation, but never even know that they're on the wrong OS, is absurdly complex, and the fact that it ever works at all seems miraculous to me.

I haven't noticed any memory problems, but Office is the only Wine app I use, since it's the only Windows app I use.
    Playonlinux might of helped here, as it has tools that cant patch office better then a standard wine install.
    Or Crossover, while not being free it is a very good app.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast