Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gnome GUI does not start

Beans

Re: gnome GUI does not start

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    Have you configured your .xinitrc file to actually load Gnome? I believe you need to do that since you aren't using any display manager to define which session to load.
    can you help me out mcduck. I havnt setup a .xinitrc file.

my setup is as follows.

I have a microserver, ubuntu server on it. I have installed gnome just because i am still learning. what i wanna be able to do is remote desktop onto the server just when i cant do something through the terminal.

so my question is :- is it possible to have gnome startup when i remote desktop onto the server ? then when im not remote desktoping it quits ? is this even possible or am i jus dreaming things up ?

sorry if this sounds stupid, im new to ubuntu !!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: gnome GUI does not start

Quote Originally Posted by beard3dgeek View Post
    can you help me out mcduck. I havnt setup a .xinitrc file.

my setup is as follows.

I have a microserver, ubuntu server on it. I have installed gnome just because i am still learning. what i wanna be able to do is remote desktop onto the server just when i cant do something through the terminal.

so my question is :- is it possible to have gnome startup when i remote desktop onto the server ? then when im not remote desktoping it quits ? is this even possible or am i jus dreaming things up ?

sorry if this sounds stupid, im new to ubuntu !!
    Sounds like it should be possible, but I have no experience with remote desktop connections.

Anyway, there's a pretty good guide to .xinitrc here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinitrc (It's for Arch, but should work just as well with Ubuntu).

Also perhaps you could apply something like this to get the X to start when you connect to the server: http://linuxexpresso.wordpress.com/2...-login-ubuntu/.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12