Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lovefilm and Netflix

Beans

Lovefilm and Netflix

Help ! I will need to move to windows as it seems to be impossible to stream Netflix or Lovefilms using Ubuntu. This is pretty bad news. Can anyone else assist ? Alternatively is there anything that can be done via the governance people to bring this to the attention of the providers.

It looks like they have fallen out of love with Linux. This is a great pain in the backside.

Alternatively if someone can post the weakness of silverlight perhaps it will shatter their illusion of more secure microsoft products.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Lovefilm and Netflix

They are aware that their move to Silverlight leaves their Linux streaming customers in the cold, but they estimate that there aren't enough of them to make a difference. To be fair, they're probably right. And they probably got a big chunk of cash from Microsoft for doing so to enable them to crow about how everyone's using Silverlight, so it must be brilliant.

As a business decision it makes a lot of sense. Sucks a bit, though, especially because the machines that actually serve up the video feeds are probably running Linux.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Long way for a shortcut, But I have an XP Virtual machine for netflix

Beans
    Hidden!

try moonlight , i came to read that it supports only limited versions of slight . but try it ,if it works fine to you then no need of moving to windows
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by raja.genupula View Post
    try moonlight , i came to read that it supports only limited versions of slight . but try it ,if it works fine to you then no need of moving to windows
    Moonlight won't work due to the drm in netflix. I have a virtual machine with xp on it that I fire up for netflix.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

I think I found a fix.
    On wines appdb the most recent silverlight appears to be installable and runable (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=24783)
    So if one installed firefox for windows, then silverlight they might be able to get movies.
    My box doesnt have wireless yet, Ill test this then tell you guys what I get!

Anyone else think microsoft and their damn DRM is twisted?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cybpabeofm View Post
    I think I found a fix.
    On wines appdb the most recent silverlight appears to be installable and runable (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=24783)
    So if one installed firefox for windows, then silverlight they might be able to get movies.
    My box doesnt have wireless yet, Ill test this then tell you guys what I get!

Anyone else think microsoft and their damn DRM is twisted?
    It is neither microsoft fault nor Netflix. It the friken content holders who impose ridiculous rules that force us to do these strange workaround. Microsoft only provide the tools, but the content holders forced Netflix to implement them
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by idoitprone View Post
    Microsoft only provide the tools,
    Microsoft chose not to provide the tools for Linux, that is the point. Truly Microsoft is the one to give the stink eye. If they'd license the drm portion of silverlight and assist with integrating it into moonlight (they are already cooperating with the development of moonlight) Then we wouldn't have this problem.

I doubt the content providers influenced Netflix, I'm pretty sure they [Netflix] were interested in not having the content pirated in and of themselves, Netflix wants you to subscribe and stay that way, not subscribe for a month so you can pirate all their content and cancel.

Just as Microsoft chooses to not provide any support for open sourced file-systems, just as they choose to provide lackluster support for open sourced document formats, etc...
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    Microsoft chose not to provide the tools for Linux, that is the point. Truly Microsoft is the one to give the stink eye. If they'd license the drm portion of silverlight and assist with integrating it into moonlight (they are already cooperating with the development of moonlight) Then we wouldn't have this problem.

I doubt the content providers influenced Netflix, I'm pretty sure they [Netflix] were interested in not having the content pirated in and of themselves, Netflix wants you to subscribe and stay that way, not subscribe for a month so you can pirate all their content and cancel.

Just as Microsoft chooses to not provide any support for open sourced file-systems, just as they choose to provide lackluster support for open sourced document formats, etc...
    a drm cannot exist as a opensource product. It is a fundamental problem with open source. Microsoft does not have any control on the integration of the drm when it becomes open source, since anyone is able to modify it source code.

I have to agree with you on the open sourced file-systems. Arrrgs i wish mac and windows at least adopted ext4. arrrg

Content provides have netflix on a strangle hold. Cable and content providers are trying to kill netflix. It it is the reason why netflix have a 60 percent price increase
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans

Well then why doesnt microsoft just give us a silverlight for linux. Oh, yeah thats right we didnt pay for it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast