Thread: Backup/Restore Ubuntu image free [Not Clonezilla] migrate to different machine

Hybrid View

Beans

Backup/Restore Ubuntu image free [Not Clonezilla] migrate to different machine

Hello. I am interested in a backup and restore free solution. In the past I have used clonezilla to backup my OS to an image and then I have been successful restoring that image to the same computer. However when I tried to restore that same clonezilla image to a different machine, the image would not restore. I read somewhere that clonezilla is not generally used restoring to 'a different' machine.
    That is what I need however, and I am looking for a free solution. I have ubuntu 12.04 on a HP laptop which I want to save as an image. Then at some time in the future if I need to I can restore that image to 'any' machine I want to put it on. What solution can you recommend that may help. Thanks in advance for helpful replies.

Beans

Re: Backup/Restore Ubuntu image free [Not Clonezilla] migrate to different machine

bump

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Backup/Restore Ubuntu image free [Not Clonezilla] migrate to different machine

I know you aren't really looking at Clonezilla, but I have used it to restore images to multiple machines.

Depending on the OS you are restoring you might run into problems with hardware (Windows) or need to tweak some settings (Network information in Linux), but overall it works fine.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...