Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are some alternatives to Skype and Vonage on Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What are some alternatives to Skype and Vonage on Ubuntu

Skype works fine on Linux. And calling a US landline over the internet is quite cheap, I use Skype to call Canada from abroad (for reference, from Guyana, Barbados, France, etc...) and it costs me around $0.02 Cdn per minute... Check out their rates: http://beta.skype.com/en/rates/#learnMore

Not that I'm trying to sell you on them, but I've found them to be very reliable, the Linux and Android apps work fine, and it's convenient.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

I have never had any issue with Skype. But you can also call phone in gmail, don't know the rate though.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty View Post
    Google +
    The hangouts. VOIP.
    Ten people can use it at a time and as each person speaks,it jumps to their cam image. It's also free.
    Extremely cool.
    We use it for our poker games on LI and it adds such an additional entertaining level to playing.
    Interesting never tried that.
    I do use Google voice a lot and have a Google phone number to receive calls.

If you setup google voice in the USA when you go overseas will it still be free vs setting it up overseas?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: What are some alternatives to Skype and Vonage on Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    I have never had any issue with Skype.
    I have..It freezes and crashes mostly when people send files, but also for no reason other than another person logging in.
    You also can't have more than one person in a video chat without paying for it,unlike G+ hangouts,which allow 10.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It freezes and crashes…
    I wonder what different set-ups people have? I am using Skype 4.1.0 from the standard Ubuntu repositories on Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit. Mine works perfectly. What do you have?
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

I have..It freezes and crashes mostly when people send files, but also for no reason other than another person logging in.
    You also can't have more than one person in a video chat without paying for it,unlike G+ hangouts,which allow 10.
    Yeah if you want to have conference call G talk is the way to go, I have also install jitsi, but haven't got a chance to try it out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: What are some alternatives to Skype and Vonage on Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    Mine works perfectly. What do you have?
    I'm using the latest version of Skype with the 12.04 version of Ubuntu..Every version of Skype I've ever used has been crashy,but the newer the versions,the more crashy they seem to be.
    It also crashes on the Windows and the Mac people,so I'm not alone.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

… Every version of Skype I've ever used has been crashy,but the newer the versions,the more crashy they seem to be.
    That makes me suspect a hardware driver problem. Maybe start Skype from a terminal and keep the terminal running in the background. When Skype crashes, start a new thread with the error output.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

I switched from Skype to Jitsi for instant text and audio communication, file transfers, and screen sharing -- all with encryption. Coupled with anveo.com as my SIP provider, I can make and receive calls to regular phones. A US phone number for incoming calls costs $1/month, plus about a penny a minute for calling most anywhere in the western world. anveo.com also support sending and receiving faxes and SMS text messages.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am in UK, but sipgate have a similar US service:
    http://www.sipgate.com/editions

Only company I have encountered that has a free VOIP number (US or UK). Unfortunately, it appears there is a queue for free packages.

No Linux "support" per se, but works perfectly with any VOIP phone (including many open source options), and on Android etc. Just remember, no SMS support to my knowledge.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast