Thread: Electric sheep troubles

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Angry Electric sheep troubles

Need help. I've had electric installed and working fine in 12.04 (64bit) until about three weeks ago. There was an update that came through and now when electric sheep runs (through x-screen saver) theres text on the screen.

It says the following

[avi@0x241f080] max_analyze_duration reached

I have searched and can not find a solution and thus far no updates have come through that fixes the problem. Any help would be appreciated.
    Why aren't you on #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net?
    Answers and Howtos

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Electric sheep troubles

OK, I installed the electric package so I could try to see the problem myself.

Where/how did you change the screen saver and I'll try that now. I assume this electric-sheep thing got delivered as part of the electric package?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Yes It's the electric sheep package.

I did not change the screen saver. It was working fine and had been until about 3 weeks ago. Then an update came through software update. Now when electric sheep activates it shows the text that I originally posted about.
    Why aren't you on #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net?
    Answers and Howtos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I just don't know a thing about the screensaver, so I was looking to:

- make sure it came in the electric package

- how to change the screen saver to the electric sheep

Are you by chance running anything besides just standard Ubuntu - i.e., did you install Gnome shell, are you using a different desktop manager (like KDE or LXDE), etc.? I'm just running 64-bit "vanilla" Ubuntu as downloaded and I can't find anything for a screen saver. It seems to me the last time I had a screen saver I had to actually install an X package to be able to do so, and I *think* I remembered reading something very recently on the forum about problems with that after a certain update. So, I would need to know those things before I can test in your environment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Haven't heard from you, so I guess this is now a dead thread. I've uninstalled electric since I have no use for it and only installed it to try to duplicate your error.
    Last edited by squakie; January 22nd, 2013 at 04:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Did some more checking - the screen saver is NOT part of the electric package - so when you say you installed electric you must really mean you installed the electric sheep app. I have no interest in installing or testing it, as this "sharing" of computers to create more "sheep" is not something I am compelled to think is a good idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This was an issue for me as well so i decided to create a post explaining how to download compile install Eectricsheeep from source code and also includes instructions on how to add Electricsheep to the Xscreensver control panel. this was tested on Ubuntu 12.04 and works great. http://www.distrogeeks.com/?p=6458

Enjoy!