Thread: Networking not working after kernel update

Beans

[SOLVED] Networking not working after kernel update

Earlier I installed the kernel update (from 3.5.0-21 to 3.5.0-22) in xubuntu 12.10 and my system stopped recognizing any networking (ran ifconfig via terminal and it only showed the loopback, no ethernet or wireless). I reverted to the old kernel (3.5.0-21) and it works again. Is there something I need to do to get networking working with the new kernel?

edit: Thanks to leef's suggestion to use lsmod, I compared the two and realized the proprietary drivers for both my ethernet controller and wireless adapter were removed by the kernel update. I reinstalled them and now everything works fine.
    Last edited by JMazzy; January 19th, 2013 at 01:20 AM. Reason: problem solved

Beans

Re: Networking not working after kernel update

please could you provide the output of the following command for both kernels?

Code:
    lsmod
    Regards Lee

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

sometimes kernel upgrades have kernel module regressions in them on accident due to fixing other things they accidentally break something totally not related.

you could file a bug so that it gets fixed.

Beans

Thanks to those who responded. See edit to my post - it looks like I needed to reinstall networking drivers for some reason. Is there a way to keep them through a kernel update? I'm new to Linux/Ubuntu so I don't know if this is a common issue or not.

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Networking not working after kernel update

Quote Originally Posted by JMazzy View Post
    edit: Thanks to leef's suggestion to use lsmod, I compared the two and realized the proprietary drivers for both my ethernet controller and wireless adapter were removed by the kernel update. I reinstalled them and now everything works fine.
    It's so good when people work these things out on their own, rather than just copying and pasting, nice work buddy.
    Last edited by leef; January 19th, 2013 at 02:56 AM.
    Regards Lee