Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu Appreciation Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Xubuntu Appreciation Thread

I'm pleased to see a thread like this one: Supporting a particular interface (XFCE) rather than bitching about it (Unity / Gnome 3).

If you happen to see the latter somewhere it would be great with a brief post encouraging people to try some more desktop environments.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

I actually switched to XFCE from Gnome2. It just felt that it fitted me better - no hatred, any more than switching my preferred coffee brand.

I tried Unity in the early days, but chose to stick with Xfce. I've never actually seen gnome3. Right now, Xfce feels comfortable and does pretty-much what I want. It's improving with each release but in the right ways.

It could use arandr adding to the default install.

I'm surprised to see complaints about xfburn - it's been very dependable to me. No frills and no fuss.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    I actually switched to XFCE from Gnome2. It just felt that it fitted me better - no hatred, any more than switching my preferred coffee brand.

I tried Unity in the early days, but chose to stick with Xfce. I've never actually seen gnome3. Right now, Xfce feels comfortable and does pretty-much what I want. It's improving with each release but in the right ways.

It could use arandr adding to the default install.

I'm surprised to see complaints about xfburn - it's been very dependable to me. No frills and no fuss.
    xrandr isn't bad once you figure it out. what i do is find the commands i need then make a keyboard shortcut for them
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by aykoola View Post
    Elfy, just one more question from me: But would it be doable if there was just Xubuntu theming for this forum available instead of a standalone forum? What i mean is actually only a colour change, so that everything that's orange in the existing theme would be a nice Xubu shade of blue? If that's doable in any way. It would ofcourse be opt-in, so the default is orange and you than manually choose the blue one over the orange. + does the old forum theme exist anymore, i really liked it?...
    Seperate theming for xubuntu isn't likely to happen officially I'm afraid.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by llanitedave View Post
    "Elegant" is the term I would use. Simple and intuitive, and fast. Nice default values for fonts and window styles.

I'm very productive on it, and my gripes are few.

Now, if we could just replace that rat...
    If you right click on the applications menu, you can change the icon. I don't like the rat, either.

Beans
    Distro

I started on 10.10, switched to Xub after 11.04 came out... I have had almost no problems that weren't of my own creation since doing so. Awesome OS, and the best of the 'Buntu family, IMO.

I just don't understand why they don't have an Ambiance - style theme running default, and why it seems kinda distant from regular Ubuntu in its branding and such. I think closer brand association would lead to an increase in popularity for this beloved variant.

Just my two or so cents.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Max Blyss View Post
    If you right click on the applications menu, you can change the icon. I don't like the rat, either.
    I've got a penguin there, although I don't mind rats - we had a really sweet pet rat once.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Same here when Ubuntu was switched to Unity I changed to Xfce then Xubuntu. Now I'm on Arch + Xfce but can confirm that the lightest way to run Ubuntu without sacrificing features is Xubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    I've got a penguin there, although I don't mind rats - we had a really sweet pet rat once.
    I've got my main menu in AWN, so I'm stuck with the dist-logo Icon from whatever icon theme I'm using.

(No biggie, though, I have a ton of Icon sets to choose from. The free stuff kinda piles up.)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

A lot of people use Xubuntu/XFCE for older hardware with limited resources, but honestly, I think it is great for a lot of other reasons. It doesn't feel as bloated as other desktop environments (GNOME and especially KDE) and is thus snappier. I like my desktop to be as minimal as possible and XFCE is perfect for that. All around, I just think it's more fun to use. Sure, GNOME Shell is neat and unique in the way it does things but XFCE just does it with no frills and no problems. Example, Minecraft doesn't like to go into full screen in GNOME Shell whereas in XFCE it will without complaining. I also had trouble getting Steam for Linux to work in GNOME Shell. The ONLY thing I don't care for in XFCE is weak keyboard multimedia support, e.g. volume keys. They just don't work for me, and I've tried 2 different keyboards. Other than that, XFCE is my absolute favorite.
    "Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." ~Voltaire

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast