Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Xubuntu Appreciation Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Xubuntu Appreciation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by llanitedave View Post
    I'm temporarily witholding my previous Xubuntu admiration, since it just hit me with a sudden nasty bug out of the blue. I have a help request in the appropriate forum, but these unexpected instabilities can really dampen one's enthusiasm.
    I will stick to the LTS releases, and not upgrade to the next LTS until the current one reaches end-of-life, for just that reason. I think, judging by the threads in the help subforums, that Xubuntu is less prone to these surprises than it's older siblings though.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Peripheral Visionary View Post
    I will stick to the LTS releases, and not upgrade to the next LTS until the current one reaches end-of-life, for just that reason. I think, judging by the threads in the help subforums, that Xubuntu is less prone to these surprises than it's older siblings though.
    Xubuntu does seem more stable than Unity, but so far KDE beats it for stability on my system. This is for the 12.10 version, not older ones. Actually, in my limited experience both Kubuntu and Xubuntu are more stable in the 12.10 versions than they were in the LTS 12.04 versions, which doesn't seem the case for Unity.

Anyway, my Xubuntu bug is now fixed, I'll just wait and see how long it holds up. (My bug seems to have been around since 2011 at least, so it's not just a temporary 'whoop'). I'm trying to split my time in half between K & X, and I'm still liking both of them for different reasons.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

This beautiful system will never leave my computer. Desktop masterpiece!

Thanks developers!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

WoW

I was going to reply to the thread, but found I replied a year ago,

Nice seeing the love tho.
    One Psychiatrist's Definition of Insanity:"Knowing what one should do and doing differently"

BlinkinCat is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by nenadlatinovic View Post
    This beautiful system will never leave my computer. Desktop masterpiece!

Thanks developers!

It really is that good isn't it ? -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Robert Frost's poem "New Hampshire" ends like this:

"Well, if I have to choose one or the other,
    I choose to be a plain New Hampshire farmer
    With an income in cash of, say, a thousand
    (From, say, a publisher in New York City).
    It's restful to arrive at a decision,
    And restful just to think about New Hampshire.
    At present I am living in Vermont."

So, it's in that spirit that I write:

"Well, if I have to choose one or the other,
    I choose to be a plain Xubuntu user
    With a desktop, a quad-core CPU
    (Installed by System 76, let's say).
    It's restful to arrive at a decision,
    And restful just to think about Xubuntu.
    At present I am using KDE."
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

Beans

Anyone testing Xubuntu 14.04, and if so, waddya guys think? I've been playing with a 14.04 VM which I originally installed a basic LXDE desktop on, but eventually turned it into Lubuntu 14.04, and it's pretty nice so far.
    Metal: HP dc5750 | OS: Arch Linux 32-bit | Kernel: 3.14.0-1-ARCH | 1.8GHz AMD Sempron 3400+ | 1.5GiB RAM | 80GiB HDD | DM/DE combo: LXDM + MATE.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by TeamRocket1233c View Post
    Anyone testing Xubuntu 14.04, and if so, waddya guys think? I've been playing with a 14.04 VM which I originally installed a basic LXDE desktop on, but eventually turned it into Lubuntu 14.04, and it's pretty nice so far.
    I've been playing with 14.04 since some time last year - got a couple of proper installs - one with nouveau, one with nvidia and a bunch of VM's.

This one (nouveau) is the one I've been using to run the test PPAs for gtk3 indicators, newer tabwin and some other things.

Looking good to me
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here

Beans

I had originally attempted a netinstall of 14.04, but it wouldn't download the installer components, unfortunately, so I had to do a 13.10 netinstall and manually upgrade it to 14.04, but oh wells.
    Metal: HP dc5750 | OS: Arch Linux 32-bit | Kernel: 3.14.0-1-ARCH | 1.8GHz AMD Sempron 3400+ | 1.5GiB RAM | 80GiB HDD | DM/DE combo: LXDM + MATE.

Beans

Time and time again I have tried Ubuntu, but I always run into some issue with Unity where the explanation is simply, "You can't do that. That's just how it is." For instance, try to move the Dock to the top or bottom of the screen. Nope. That's just how it is. So, I go back to Xubuntu wondering why I even tried to install anything else. I have learned my lesson, and I will be installing Xubuntu as my first choice from now on. Oh, and on my Xubuntu machine, I have two docks (or panels): one at the top, and one at the bottom.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456