Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu Appreciation Thread

Beans

Re: Xubuntu Appreciation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by u-noob-tu View Post
    It's weird, when I press the volume up/down keys, the volume indicator shows up on the top right of the screen but the volume does not actually change even though the bar goes up/down with each press of the key. I have to click on the volume icon in the notification area to actually change the volume.
    Are you using alsa or pulse audio? Might be that but I'm just guessing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Like everything about it, including the rat. Runs great on my now 9 years old Sony laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Are you using alsa or pulse audio? Might be that but I'm just guessing.
    I'm using Pulse Audio, since that's what Xubuntu uses by default.
    "Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." ~Voltaire

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My teacher always removed PulseAudio from Xubuntu first thing, until Precise finally got PulseAudio working in Xubuntu without issues.

Beans

i thought i had already posted on this thread.

been using xubuntu since i learned of gnome 2 impending death.

i prefer xubuntu (xfce) because it is customisable and tidy. i need to be able to configure it just right, to make things easily distinguishable, yet also change that which distracts me, for the sake of efficiency.

i like leafpad, ristretto image viewer, screenshooter, thunar, terminal emulator, abiword is good for the rare times i require anything more than a text editor. i have been geeking long enough that i know which applications i like to use. i have also finally settled, i am staying with this system until EOL.

i am what a lot of people would consider boring, because i only do security updates, i dont need or want for the latest software, i like it to stay the same for a while.

theming is something silly and fun to do inbetween all the intense stuff.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Peripheral Visionary View Post
    My teacher always removed PulseAudio from Xubuntu first thing, until Precise finally got PulseAudio working in Xubuntu without issues.
    How would I go about doing that? How would I make the switch to alsa? I've never had to mess with any sound configurations in Linux before.
    "Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." ~Voltaire

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by u-noob-tu View Post
    How would I go about doing that? How would I make the switch to alsa? I've never had to mess with any sound configurations in Linux before.
    To many links to mention so instead I will provide this https://www.google.co.za/webhp?sourc...w=1429&bih=946

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Don't remove Pulseaudi. Install 'pauvcontrol' and then you have full control over it. Much better than alsa, IMHO. Sits on top usually anyhow so you have PulseA and alsa anyhow.

You will then find 'PulseAudio Volume Control' in Applications>Multimedia and can stick the icon on your toolbar and control what you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I'm temporarily witholding my previous Xubuntu admiration, since it just hit me with a sudden nasty bug out of the blue. I have a help request in the appropriate forum, but these unexpected instabilities can really dampen one's enthusiasm.

I'll go back to the KDE appreciation thread!

Beans

Xubuntu is one of my all time favs when I'm in the mood for a simple and effective OS, but by no means is it the be all. Nothing is. Just find what works for you and be happy.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast