Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kdenlive: computer shut-down during render

Beans

kdenlive: computer shut-down during render

I recently started using kdenlive, and it's been working just fine, until I finished the video that is.
    First I tried rendering the whole project - the video wasn't even that long, around 2 minutes - but halfway through the rendering process, the computer just shut down completely.
    After that I tried rendering a few clips of the video at a time, which seems to work as long as the rendering process doesn't take longer than 4-5 minutes, and even then it only works sometimes.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: kdenlive: computer shut-down during render

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonspider View Post
    which seems to work as long as the rendering process doesn't take longer than 4-5 minutes, and even then it only works sometimes.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Can you please elaborate it little bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Maybe your CPU is overheating while rendering and its shutting down to prevent CPU damage.
    Is there anything else CPU intensive that you can run to check if the same thing happens? Maybe a game?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i was going to say the same thing, sounds like an overheating issue. i would take it outside and blow out the case with air can and make sure there's no dust clogging the fan vents etc etc.

see if you can view temps while you're rendering to see how hot it's getting. Where did you get kdenlive from? I use sunab's kdenlive-svn ppa and medibuntu repo for the "extra's" libraries for ffmpeg. i am using xubuntu 12.04

Beans

I don't think it's an overheating issue, since it never shuts down like that even if I'm running several different programs and applications simultaneously. It only happens while rendering (during which I make sure not to have anything else running, though it doesn't seem to matter).

As for where I got kdenlive from, I just downloaded it via the software center.

Beans
    Distro

that's a very old version, i would suggest you try a more recent release of it. first remove kdenlive, melt or mlt, and frei0r-plugins.

then enable the stable ppa from sunab, just google "sunab's kdenlive-release ppa"
    then install that, you'll also want to enable the mythbuntu repository for the libavformat-extras-53 libraries or whatever they are and for the better ffmpeg.

i am using xubuntu 12.04 and using sunab's svn ppa for kdenlive and have no issuse at all, it works great and can render to h264/aac mp4 files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I'm still not sure how or why would a software bug or what ever it is, completely shutdown the computer. That sounds like a hardware problem and nothing else. But, try the new release like dannyboy79 suggested and if the problem solves, great.

Beans

I installed the new release as suggested, but the problem still remains.

Beans
    Distro

are you positive this is related to kdenlive? have you tried to open tons of other apps to attempt to crash your system? open like 100 tabs in google chrome or firefox, run a bunch of other apps.

I don't really know what to suggest as I don't have any issues. Maybe try the kdenlive forums if you feel it's related to kdenlive

Beans

Well, since the only time the problem occurs is when I'm trying to render, and I already know that I can run tons of other apps simultaneously without the computer shutting down, it's really the only logical conclusion.

Alright, I'll see if I can find a solution there, then. Thanks for all your suggestions, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast