Thread: 12.10 fresh install black screen no boot

Beans

12.10 fresh install black screen no boot

Problem, I installed Ubuntu 12.10 a fresh format install, this was done 2 ways 1 with a usb 3.0 speeds and a dvdrw, I redownloaded the iso many times to make sure it wasn't corrupt, and every single time I try to iget 12.10 to work, once it installs every single time it reboots after finishing the install I get a black screen with a blinking cursor, whats the deal here? this seems to be a problem for a lot of people.

Computer:

Running 4 Monitors

Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D

Motherboard: Gigabyte x79-UP4 LGA 2011 Socket

Mobo Additionals: Gigabyte pci-e 802.11 b/g/n + bluetooth

CPU: Intel I7-3930k 3.2 GHZ 12MB LGA 2011 Not Overclocked

GFX: Nvidia MSI 2GB GTX 680

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2133MHz 16GB

Rom Drive: LG 12x Blue-ray player and DVDRW Combo Drive

Thermal Display: NZXT sentry lx aluminum dual bay digital fan control

Cooling: Corsair hydro series h60 120mm liquid cooling

SSD:128gb sandisk sata iii 6.0gb/s SSD <---where Ubuntu was installed

Data Drive: 2tb sata iii 6gb/s 7200rpm 64mb cache 3.5" hd

Media Reader: 12-in-one internal card reader

Power Supply:Coolermaster silent pro gold 1000w power supply

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: 12.10 fresh install black screen no boot

Hi!, fallen1011,

Check out the MAFoElffen Sticky in this forum, there is a step by step troubleshooter in Post #1, and an index in post #2.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...43535&page=113

In addition you probably need Bumblebee to use the optimus nvidia feature with Hybrid graphics.

Do you get a Grub menu before the blank screen?

And can you get a TTY 'Text Terminal', from 'Ctrl+Alt+F1' ? [ you may need 'Ctrl+Alt+F7' to revert to the Gui screen afterwards.]

If you can, or get a command prompt, 'Alt+F2' + 'term', check that linux-headers-generic file is installed. If not, you need to install it and reinstall the nvidia driver.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans

Re: 12.10 fresh install black screen no boot

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi!, fallen1011,

Check out the MAFoElffen Sticky in this forum, there is a step by step troubleshooter in Post #1, and an index in post #2.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...43535&page=113

In addition you probably need Bumblebee to use the optimus nvidia feature with Hybrid graphics.

Do you get a Grub menu before the blank screen?

And can you get a TTY 'Text Terminal', from 'Ctrl+Alt+F1' ? [ you may need 'Ctrl+Alt+F7' to revert to the Gui screen afterwards.]

If you can, or get a command prompt, 'Alt+F2' + 'term', check that linux-headers-generic file is installed. If not, you need to install it and reinstall the nvidia driver.

Chao!, bogan.

I ended up fixing this problem by using this http://sourceforge.net/projects/boot...?source=navbar

how it fixed it I don't know but all I know is it works lol. however once I got it loaded there was some serious and I mean serious lagging, so I changed the driver to proprietary since the novoue was just dead killing my machine with lag. rebooted and now everything si doing okay. BUT for some weird reason gwibber will not work even though I setup all the online account stuff