Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to learn to understand what's behind the curtain?

Beans

Question How to learn to understand what's behind the curtain?

Dear Ubuntu Forum,

I'm a typical Mac then Windows user, that uses their computer for games and word processing, photos and music. I'm not stupid, but I am uneducated when it comes the theory of computers. I know there are many books showcasing the daily use of Ubuntu - which is mostly what I'll be using it for. I am curious, though, about the rest.

This arose when I tried to follow instructions I found on the Internet on dual booting my Alienware X51 (http://en.community.dell.com/owners-.../20161438.aspx). I could follow most of it, like a monkey pulling levers, but once I came to something not spelled out I was blocked. I just don't know the concepts or terms - but I would like to.

I talked to some computer (Windows) friends for help, but they didn't know the theory either. It made me think that GParted and mountpoint aren't necessarily "normal" computer concepts. I've seen on the forums there are many people willing to help - but where do I learn enough to even know what questions to ask?

I've come here hoping for some experienced advice. I suppose I need to start at the basics, but I don't really even know what that is. Hardware? Filing systems (is that even a thing)? In a magical world, I would hope to be directed to a book - or series of books - to help me gain a footing. Right now, I find books telling me how to check my email or else books that assume I already possess some sort of base knowledge.

Am I clearly explaining what I'm looking for? Does such a thing exist? If not, perhaps you can help me find the right questions so that I can gain the understanding to ask the right questions.

Appreciatively Yours,
    Mike

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How to learn to understand what's behind the curtain?

Hello

Not really following you, but there is no limitation on the number of questions asked on the forum,

Post questions like a lunatic-
    Make sure you search before posting and if you find something you dont understand in the search, post that to and say , I dont get this!

There are ubuntu documentation pages and I am sure you found them,
    I think this is one of the most helpful forums I have ever been attached to.

There are jackalobes who will say RTFM when the question may not be that easy ( or its easy to understand for them) and posters who read your posts and do a quick search and post something useless back thinking their bean count affects their ranking in the forums, but in the main, its stuffed with people like you (and me) who want to learn.

If your doing something which is not ultra customized and specific to you ("I want to install some rare program under wine which I am trying to implement in an IPV6 network which I can only remote desktop to after I port forward, using a non standard customization on IPtables and I dont have any passwords, and IM being blocked by my ISP, WHY CAN NO ONE HELP ME!!!)
    You will generally find that people run into the same problems , or will have enough experience to help you with yours

There are things which seem to come up over and over (wireless on Ubuntu is one) but I suppose thats the way the world works.

So, jump right in, if you think the question is very basic , ask in the absolute beginners section, but again,
    dont be afraid to ask questions
    You can tell a man who boozes by the company he chooses, as the pig got up and slowly walked away.

Beans
    Hidden!

One tip

To search this forum for answers

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...Search&lang=en

Just be sure the books are up to date. And when it comes to doc's ..

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...lubuntu.com%2F

shellshock.conf for fail2ban - Tested on fail2ban 0.8.10

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Habitual View Post
    John, I've only taken a quick look but it looks great! Thank you!

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Mike,

"The Complete Reference: Linux" by Richard Petersen. McGraw-Hill.

Peels the onion one layer at a time from: Linux kernel, to the dozens of distros, to Debian vs RPM, to GUIs like Gnome vs KDE vs Xfce, and so on, veil by veil.

You can choose to rarely see the Terminal or rarely see any GUI.

Nice thing about Ubuntu is that you don't have to know or frankly care what's behind the curtain. That's the approach I chose, and I cut the Win cord this year after nearly 7 years of dual booting.

I write, edit videos, do desktop publishing, keep my personal and company finances, all on Ubuntu. It just works.

Beans

Welcome to the forums Mike!

A good way to learn about Ubuntu is to choose one topic of which you have a reasonable understanding, and then assist users on these forums with that topic.

For example, when I first started, I had a question, "How do I install Adobe Flash so I can watch videos online?" Once I knew the answer, I was on the lookout for other users with the same question, and I assisted them. Over time, I increased my areas of knowledge as I helped more and more people with a wider range of topics. Likewise, people were happy to help me when I had questions.

There is a saying "like attracts like." If you are an inquisitive and helpful knowledge-seeker, then you will attract other like-minded inquisitive and helpful knoweldge-seekers, and over time will be come well-educated about Ubuntu through your volunteer participation in these forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

"The Complete Reference: Linux" by Richard Petersen. McGraw-Hill.
    +1 on that Tom Collier
    its a great reference
    You can tell a man who boozes by the company he chooses, as the pig got up and slowly walked away.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Before you get into partitioning, dual-booting and installing stuff, I suggest you first try out Ubuntu. You can do so by downloading it and burning on a CD, then boot from the CD and clicking try. Or you can use a program called WUBI to install Ubuntu inside Windows as if it was a regular Windows program and try it like that. Then when you get know a little more about Ubuntu, you can try to install it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

you can always come to the forums and ask as many questions as you want. if you want faster help, you could try the IRC channel on freenode.net, the channel name is #ubuntu.
    Mark Sobell writes good books and in fact I was a technical reviewer for "A practical guide to ubuntu linux" third edition. it's a huge book but very informative for beginners, it spells out step by step.
    The ubuntu community is very helpful and one of the best communities in my opinion, ask and you shall recieve
    Check out my Blog about my life and computer software and hardware. http://ubuntuaddicted.blogspot.com/
    My YouTube channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/ubuntuaddicted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast