Thread: Changing Keyboard Layout Options via gconftool-2

Threaded View

Beans

Changing Keyboard Layout Options via gconftool-2

Since my laptop is often (dis)connected from the dock to which an Apple Keyboard is attached, I am looking for a convenient way to trigger some changes in keyboard layout through from the command line / script.

The effect I want to achieve is the same as going to System Settings -> Keyboard Layout -> Options ... and tick the "Left Alt is swapped with Left Win" under "Alt/Win key behavior".
    After performing the above GUI operation, I can see that the command
    Code:
    gconftool-2 --get /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd/options
    Produces the following output:
    Code:
    [altwin	altwin:swap_lalt_lwin]
    But, I want to achieve the same effect of via the command line instead. Therefore, I tried the following:
    Code:
    gconftool-2 --set --type=list --list-type=string /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd/options "[altwin	altwin:swap_lalt_lwin]"
    which should effectively achieve the same effect as above (and indeed running the above get command confirms this).

However, for some weird reason changes don't take effect (the key bindings are still unaffected), even though they are visible via both gconf-editor or gconftool-2.
    Moreover, when I go to the GUI the changes are not visible and if I am to make the change now the GUI crashes.

Any ideas why it does not work?
    Last edited by leden; January 18th, 2013 at 06:12 AM.