Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is DHCP installed by default in ver. 12.04 LTS?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Is DHCP installed by default in ver. 12.04 LTS?

I'm painfully lost. Is Precise Pangolin using DHCP with any device automatically (as in Auto Eth)? How can I know if the device is or isn't found?

If the device cannot find it's way from itself to the computer, then what configging is needed to make the two devices talk to each other?

Does application software have to be involved before the ethernet connection is established? I'm guessing that the firmware/hardware would at least acknowledge it's presence to the computer's ethernet jack.

I have set the Network Manager to add a wired connection with IP=169.254.5.12 and mask of 255.255.0.0. Nothing gets found.

Oh! One more thing. I have this install of Ubuntu running wifi, as I share costs of dsl with my neighbor who has the wifi-router in his apartment. Is it possible to use the wifi for internet connectivity and the ethernet for another use simultaneously?
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Is DHCP installed by default in ver. 12.04 LTS?

Is Precise Pangolin using DHCP with any device automatically (as in Auto Eth)? How can I know if the device is or isn't found?
    Run a terminal command:
    Code:
    ifconfig
    Is there an eth0 found? If so, you have a wired ethernet interface and, if the ethernet cable is attached to a router, you should get an IP address automagically. DHCP is installed and runs by default.
    I have set the Network Manager to add a wired connection with IP=169.254.5.12 and mask of 255.255.0.0. Nothing gets found.
    Where did you get that? 169.254.x.y is usually reserved for a placeholder indicating, roughly, 'I am a working interface but I can't connect because the router refused my connection, the cable is detached, the cable is defective, etc.'

Typically, you will need NO human intervention; Network Manager does everything for you.
    Is it possible to use the wifi for internet connectivity and the ethernet for another use simultaneously?
    Yes, although probably not with Network Manager. It defaults to wired if it's available and then turns off wireless. What you propose can be done with some manual configuration.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Per previous response:

mark@Lexington-19:~$ ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 40:61:86:06:56:14
    inet6 addr: fe80::4261:86ff:fe06:5614/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:283 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:231 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:96786 (96.7 KB) TX bytes:52737 (52.7 KB)
    Interrupt:43 Base address:0xe000

Where did you get that?

169.254.x.y is usually reserved for a placeholder indicating, roughly, 'I am a working interface but I can't connect because the router refused my connection, the cable is detached, the cable is defective, etc.'

The "added" Network Connections Wired connection has been deleted.

What you propose can be done with some manual configuration.

Auto Ethernet requests a "wired network address" and eventually says: Wired network disconnected.

I cannot understand whether I have an ethernet connection or not from looking at what ifconfig reports. I can say that in Win7 (other partition, this drive) finds the device makes a connection.
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans
    Distro

Where did you get that?

169.254.x.y is usually reserved for a placeholder indicating, roughly, 'I am a working interface but I can't connect because the router refused my connection, the cable is detached, the cable is defective, etc.'
    From working 16,000 cases here and on two other forums. http://packetlife.net/blog/2008/sep/...ses-explained/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

You do not have an IP address; if you did, it would show as something like:
    Code:
    $ ifconfig
    inet addr:192.168.1.8  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::4261:86ff:fe06:5614/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:283 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:231 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    ...or some such. The fact that you have packets sent and received suggest it's trying; that is, it's healthy.

Before we start some manual configuration of both wired and wireless connections, let's first try to fix the wired connection. What does this tell us?
    Code:
    nm-tool
    cat /etc/network/interfaces
    dmesg | grep eth0
    A great many things work perfectly well in Windows and not Linux...and vice versa.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_in_Hollywood View Post
    I'm painfully lost. Is Precise Pangolin using DHCP with any device automatically (as in Auto Eth)? How can I know if the device is or isn't found?

If the device cannot find it's way from itself to the computer, then what configging is needed to make the two devices talk to each other?
    What device are you trying to connect to exactly? It sounds like you are trying to do some kind of peer-to-peer connection (no routing) which may work under Windows using APIPA (which would be consistent with a 169.x.x.x address I think)

There seems like there *might* be a provision to do that under NetworkManager (there is a 'Link-Local Only' option under the IPv4 settings tab) but I have never tried it

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I am trying to install a SiliconDust HD HomeRun dual (tv) tuner. It's an external box that has an antenna input and an ethernet output. This device will supply a TV signal to my computer. It's not on a "network" in the sense that a cable/wifi sends the TV picture to another device on a network. At most, I might set the nVideo driver to "dual monitors" and pipe the picture over to a big screen TV via hdmi. The tuner's cable goes from the tuner into the computer's ethernet jack. This computer uses wifi to access the internet. I share a DSL ISP with a neighbor, for which I pay my share of service. It is unlikely that the neighbor would be willing to let me run ethernet cables into the ATT wifi-router.

mark@Lexington-19:~$ nm-tool

NetworkManager Tool

State: connected (global)

- Device: ttyACM0 ------------------------------
    Type: Mobile Broadband (GSM)
    Driver: cdc_acm
    State: disconnected
    Default: no

Capabilities:

- Device: eth0 ---------------------------------
    Type: Wired
    Driver: forcedeth
    State: disconnected
    Default: no
    HW Address: 40:61:86:06:56:14

Capabilities:
    Carrier Detect: yes
    Speed: 100 Mb/s

Wired Properties
    Carrier: on

- Device: wlan2 [2WIRE123 2] --------------------
    Type: 802.11 WiFi
    Driver: ath9k_htc
    State: connected
    Default: yes
    HW Address: 90:F6:52:0C:2D:A4

Capabilities:
    Speed: 54 Mb/s

Wireless Properties
    WEP Encryption: yes
    WPA Encryption: yes
    WPA2 Encryption: yes

Wireless Access Points (* = current AP)

*2WIRE123: Infra, 00:22:A4:E2:6D9, Freq 2412 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 67 WEP

IPv4 Settings:
    Address: 192.168.1.72
    Prefix: 24 (255.255.255.0)
    Gateway: 192.168.1.254

DNS: 192.168.1.254

mark@Lexington-19:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

mark@Lexington-19:~$ dmesg | grep eth0
    [ 1.600867] forcedeth 0000:00:07.0: ifname eth0, PHY OUI 0x732 @ 1, addr 40:61:86:06:56:14
    [ 8.674650] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
    [ 36.624031] eth0: no IPv6 routers present
    [ 84.520014] eth0: no IPv6 routers present

Beans

Ah OK - actually I have one of those myself but it is connected via a router and uses DHCP

Is the HDHR new out of the box? if not it's possible someone reconfigured it to a IP range that's different from the default 169.254.x.x. I think you *should* be able to just set a static IP like you tried, iirc the HDHR doesn't even need a crossover as it is able to autodetect. Or you could try the 'Link-local Only' option if you are feeling adventurous.

However NetworkManager by default will likely try to disable your wireless connection if it finds a wired connection - to prevent that you may need to define the static wired connection for the HDHR in /etc/network/interfaces instead and make sure 'ifupdown' is set to 'managed=false' in NetworkManager.conf (it should be false by default) - sometimes the 2 networking services don't play well together though.

Beans
    Distro

Let me hand this one off to you, steeldriver. You have the device and are well equiped to assist Mark.

Beans

OK I will give it a shot - but if it looks like there may be an actual problem with the ethernet port / driver we will call back the big guns!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Does "connected via a router" mean that you get your internet access and the HDHR via your router?

Is the HDHR new out of the box?

NO. This is a tan box with 2 F-59 male plugs at the back. This box's firmware is: 20120405. This device can be found within my Win7 (64-bit) partition, on same drive as Precise Pangolin ver. 12.04 LTS.

if not it's possible someone reconfigured it to a IP range that's different from the default 169.254.x.x. I think you *should* be able to just set a static IP like you tried, iirc the HDHR doesn't even need a crossover as it is able to autodetect. Or you could try the 'Link-local Only' option if you are feeling adventurous.

FYI, the cable 'twixt the hdhr and 'puter is branded SiliconDust.

However NetworkManager by default will likely try to disable your wireless connection if it finds a wired connection - to prevent that you may need to define the static wired connection for the HDHR in /etc/network/interfaces instead and make sure 'ifupdown' is set to 'managed=false' in NetworkManager.conf (it should be false by default) - sometimes the 2 networking services don't play well together though.

You can say that again! Now, if you give me a URL or How-To on how to edit /etc/network/interfaces and what needs to be edited. I tried setting Network Connection / Wired to IP of 169.254.5.12 with subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. Yet the devices continue to not "see" one another, i.e., I have no presence of the hdhr in the OS/Networking apps.

I looked at the NetworkManager.conf and see that "managed" is set to "false". Screenshot attached.

From the MythTV SiliconDust HDHomeRun page:

Network Connection

The HDHomeRun normally expects to obtain a DHCP lease. However, with the latest firmware it is also possible to configure it statically. This is particularly convenient if you want to connect the HDHomeRun directly to a NIC on your MythTV system, rather than through a switch on your network. To do this, configure your local interface with a static IP address in the range of 169.254.x.x (eg. 169.254.1.10) with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 and no gateway. No need to configure routes, the HDHR's will not be accessible to devices on your existing network, but your backend should have no problem seeing them.

Alternatively add the following lines to your interfaces file ('ipv4ll' is a relatively new option, easier than using 'static'):

auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet ipv4ll

The HDHomeRun uses UDP to communicate to the backend. Since UDP is connectionless, it does not retry if a packet is lost. This can cause a problem with hubs, especially with multiple HD video streams and other traffic. Any collision on the network generally results in part of the video stream being lost. This shows up as random blocks in the video being corrupt, generally with colors that stand out against the video. Switches resolve this problem since they break up the network into more collision domains, although this problem will still appear if then network becomes fully saturated with traffic.

I have added the

auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet ipv4ll

to etc/network/interfaces

ooopppssss!!

mark@Lexington-19:~$ ifconfig -a | grep eth
    mark@Lexington-19:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    [sudo] password for mark:
    * Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not enable again some interfaces
    * Reconfiguring network interfaces... Failed to get index for interface name 'eth1': No such device
    Failed to bring up eth1.

Please advise "what next"?
    Last edited by Mark_in_Hollywood; January 18th, 2013 at 08:52 PM. Reason: ??

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast