Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: another gnome2 fork, and I like it

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: yeah, an other gnome2 fork, and i like it

Quote Originally Posted by KBD47 View Post
    Over time, as both Unity and Gnome Shell have improved I've become more tolerant of both, but Ikey is definitely helping to save the classic desktop paradigm and keeping it modern at the same time--kudos to him
    agreed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Oh...yay. Another fork.

While I'm all for competition, this is getting ridiculous.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    Oh...yay. Another fork.

While I'm all for competition, this is getting ridiculous.
    and recurring ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    and recurring ...
    As much as it may seem a recurring topic to you, and as unfortunate as the title of the topic may be, this is about a new DE with a strategy that has little or nothing to do with other existing solutions such as cinnamon or mate.

Moving this topic to the "recurring discussions" section of the forum just shows your personal opinion on the matter rather than follows some objective criteria (assuming that admins here are required to adhere themselves to any set of logic criterias)

- Ubuntu is an ancient african word meaning "I can't configure Debian"

Quote Originally Posted by hexion View Post
    As much as it may seem a recurring topic to you, and as unfortunate as the title of the topic may be, this is about a new DE with a strategy that has little or nothing to do with other existing solutions such as cinnamon or mate.

Moving this topic to the "recurring discussions" section of the forum just shows your personal opinion on the matter rather than follows some objective criteria (assuming that admins here are required to adhere themselves to any set of logic criterias)
    It is new, like all the others. And the posts toting how awesome it is and how it will be the next big thing etc. and all of the counter arguments that defend the choices of every user not using it and thinking it is folly is going to leave us with a thread that is similar than (add number of DE's that became popular after KDE4 was released here) other threads.

Not sure if it is logical but it is predictable.

Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    It is new, like all the others. And the posts toting how awesome it is and how it will be the next big thing etc. and all of the counter arguments that defend the choices of every user not using it and thinking it is folly is going to leave us with a thread that is similar than (add number of DE's that became popular after KDE4 was released here) other threads.

Not sure if it is logical but it is predictable.

A completely valid point. Makes total sense to put it into recurring discussion.
    Ok so Consort has only just gone public, but forking parts of GNOME is a very old and repeated topic.

Just for clarification: Consort is actually a fork of the GNOME 3 fallback components, not GNOME 2. This is done to ensure 100% compatibility with the rest of the GNOME stack, to the point you could install it on any distro, choose the Consort Desktop session and log in, and still use all your existing GTK3 apps in an integrated way.

I'll try to reply here when I can if folks have questions, that said the amount of attention this recieved actually knocked the main SolusOS.com server offline all morning, and I'm doing maintanence on that all day as well as a few git commits

Final note: I'll be happy to work with someone in the future to bring a PPA to Ubuntu with these packages, was hoping WebUpD8 would've gotten back to me about that one (we previously got the patched Nautilus up in a ppa)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hexion View Post

Nothing to do with personal opinion - this is yet another thread about yet another desktop environment.

In fact - yet another desktop environment is a recurring theme.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Nothing to do with personal opinion - this is yet another thread about yet another desktop environment.

In fact - yet another desktop environment is a recurring theme.
    Nope

This is more like the Empire strikes back

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Deleted, stupid.
    Last edited by MG&TL; January 18th, 2013 at 02:57 PM.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast