Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 124

Thread: another gnome2 fork, and I like it

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Beans
    393
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: yeah, an other gnome2 fork, and i like it

    Quote Originally Posted by KBD47 View Post
    Over time, as both Unity and Gnome Shell have improved I've become more tolerant of both, but Ikey is definitely helping to save the classic desktop paradigm and keeping it modern at the same time--kudos to him
    agreed.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The New Forest
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

    Re: yeah, an other gnome2 fork, and i like it

    Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Re: yeah, an other gnome2 fork, and i like it

    Oh...yay. Another fork.

    While I'm all for competition, this is getting ridiculous.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The New Forest
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

    Re: yeah, an other gnome2 fork, and i like it

    Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    Oh...yay. Another fork.

    While I'm all for competition, this is getting ridiculous.
    and recurring ...

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Beans
    203
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: yeah, an other gnome2 fork, and i like it

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    and recurring ...
    As much as it may seem a recurring topic to you, and as unfortunate as the title of the topic may be, this is about a new DE with a strategy that has little or nothing to do with other existing solutions such as cinnamon or mate.

    Moving this topic to the "recurring discussions" section of the forum just shows your personal opinion on the matter rather than follows some objective criteria (assuming that admins here are required to adhere themselves to any set of logic criterias)

    - Ubuntu is an ancient african word meaning "I can't configure Debian"

  6. #16

    Re: yeah, an other gnome2 fork, and i like it

    Quote Originally Posted by hexion View Post
    As much as it may seem a recurring topic to you, and as unfortunate as the title of the topic may be, this is about a new DE with a strategy that has little or nothing to do with other existing solutions such as cinnamon or mate.

    Moving this topic to the "recurring discussions" section of the forum just shows your personal opinion on the matter rather than follows some objective criteria (assuming that admins here are required to adhere themselves to any set of logic criterias)
    It is new, like all the others. And the posts toting how awesome it is and how it will be the next big thing etc. and all of the counter arguments that defend the choices of every user not using it and thinking it is folly is going to leave us with a thread that is similar than (add number of DE's that became popular after KDE4 was released here) other threads.

    Not sure if it is logical but it is predictable.


    404
    404

    Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    7

    Re: yeah, an other gnome2 fork, and i like it

    Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    It is new, like all the others. And the posts toting how awesome it is and how it will be the next big thing etc. and all of the counter arguments that defend the choices of every user not using it and thinking it is folly is going to leave us with a thread that is similar than (add number of DE's that became popular after KDE4 was released here) other threads.

    Not sure if it is logical but it is predictable.


    404
    A completely valid point. Makes total sense to put it into recurring discussion.
    Ok so Consort has only just gone public, but forking parts of GNOME is a very old and repeated topic.

    Just for clarification: Consort is actually a fork of the GNOME 3 fallback components, not GNOME 2. This is done to ensure 100% compatibility with the rest of the GNOME stack, to the point you could install it on any distro, choose the Consort Desktop session and log in, and still use all your existing GTK3 apps in an integrated way.

    I'll try to reply here when I can if folks have questions, that said the amount of attention this recieved actually knocked the main SolusOS.com server offline all morning, and I'm doing maintanence on that all day as well as a few git commits

    Final note: I'll be happy to work with someone in the future to bring a PPA to Ubuntu with these packages, was hoping WebUpD8 would've gotten back to me about that one (we previously got the patched Nautilus up in a ppa)

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The New Forest
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

    Re: yeah, an other gnome2 fork, and i like it

    Quote Originally Posted by hexion View Post
    As much as it may seem a recurring topic to you, and as unfortunate as the title of the topic may be, this is about a new DE with a strategy that has little or nothing to do with other existing solutions such as cinnamon or mate.

    Moving this topic to the "recurring discussions" section of the forum just shows your personal opinion on the matter rather than follows some objective criteria (assuming that admins here are required to adhere themselves to any set of logic criterias)
    Nothing to do with personal opinion - this is yet another thread about yet another desktop environment.

    In fact - yet another desktop environment is a recurring theme.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    12o4/14o4
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: yeah, an other gnome2 fork, and i like it

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Nothing to do with personal opinion - this is yet another thread about yet another desktop environment.

    In fact - yet another desktop environment is a recurring theme.
    Nope

    This is more like the Empire strikes back

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Re: yeah, an other gnome2 fork, and i like it

    Deleted, stupid.
    Last edited by MG&TL; January 18th, 2013 at 02:57 PM.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •