Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: another gnome2 fork, and I like it

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    Lines are moving again
    Heh! And, the plot thickens.

New gnome-panel maintainer, eh?

This is turning into a real soap opera. LoL!
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This is my perception of what's going on:

- Gnome wants to move in a different direction, keep some level of compatibility with a classic type environment -> Great.
    - The classic environment is a burden, it "steps on the way", so Gnome announces it will be dropped -> No problem per se, but some users feel "orphaned" and start looking for alternatives (sigh!).
    - As a very natural reaction, forks occur -> Great, opensource works.
    - Lack of coordination, egos, good and not-so-good approaches -> Gazillion projects, some with a brighter future than others. Still, could be better, but nobody should see a problem, it's a free world and people want to get involved.
    - Gnome ports some classic components to GTK3 -> Amazing, very welcomed, many users (including me) applaud and feel "re-adopted".
    - Gnome, again, discontinues the whole thing -> WTF!!!!!!

(... some very poor communication, very poor coordination with people that DO WANT to keep this thing alive, very big egos... after)

- Some people -understandably- don't want anything to do with Gnome and the Gnome devs, and fork the whole thing -> Great.
    - Some egos are hurt and attack -> Sad.
    - Someone decides to become the new maintainer -> Great.

That's my personal view of the whole thing.

Now, personally, I would have *loved* if someone would have stepped up as a maintainer of the classic components a while back, possibly even before Gnome decided to break some hearts for the nth-time by announcing the re-re-re-re-decommision of the so-called "fallback mode".

But, nowadays, and despite I wish all the best to Jonathan Carter, it's a bit too late for this. I believe this "classic environment" doesn't belong in Gnome anymore. Not with the current direction and inflated egos. It deserves better.

The Gnome community clearly is not interested in this type of environment. Fair enough, no problem with that. So why are some people still pushing to have control over it inside Gnome? That, I don't f*cking get. Renaming makes it difficult to upgrade? It's a once off and we can then move on with our lives, get over it!

Let it free, let it has it own name and not some demeaning, even insulting, 'classic', 'fallback', 'legacy', 'old'... tag. I for one love technology, progress, bleeding edge, etc... and still, deeply dislike all these new environments. It's not a matter of hating change, people are just fully entitled to not have to like something for the sole reason of it being "new" and "different to the old".

There, I said it. Now, I summon all the trolls to quote and hate, but mind you, I couldn't care less
    Last edited by hexion; February 5th, 2013 at 03:24 PM.

- Ubuntu is an ancient african word meaning "I can't configure Debian"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hexion View Post
    This is my perception of what's going on:

- Gnome wants to move in a different direction, keep some level of compatibility with a classic type environment -> Great.
    - The classic environment is a burden, it "steps on the way", so Gnome announces it will be dropped -> No problem per se, but some users feel "orphaned" and start looking for alternatives (sigh!).
    - As a very natural reaction, forks occur -> Great, opensource works.
    - Lack of coordination, egos, good and not-so-good approaches -> Gazillion projects, some with a brighter future than others. Still, could be better, but nobody should see a problem, it's a free world and people want to get involved.
    - Gnome ports some classic components to GTK3 -> Amazing, very welcomed, many users (including me) applaud and feel "re-adopted".
    - Gnome, again, discontinues the whole thing -> WTF!!!!!!

(... some very poor communication, very poor coordination with people that DO WANT to keep this thing alive, very big egos... after)

- Some people -understandably- don't want anything to do with Gnome and the Gnome devs, and fork the whole thing -> Great.
    - Some egos are hurt and attack -> Sad.
    - Someone decides to become the new maintainer -> Great.

That's my personal view of the whole thing.

Now, personally, I would have *loved* if someone would have stepped up as a maintainer of the classic components a while back, possibly even before Gnome decided to break some hearts for the nth-time by announcing the re-re-re-re-decommision of the so-called "fallback mode".

But, nowadays, and despite I wish all the best to Jonathan Carter, it's a bit too late for this. I believe this "classic environment" doesn't belong in Gnome anymore. Not with the current direction and inflated egos. It deserves better.

The Gnome community clearly is not interested in this type of environment. Fair enough, no problem with that. So why are some people still pushing to have control over it inside Gnome? That, I don't f*cking get. Renaming makes it difficult to upgrade? It's a once off and we can then move on with our lives, get over it!

Let it free, let it has it own name and not some demeaning, even insulting, 'classic', 'fallback', 'legacy', 'old'... tag. I for one love technology, progress, bleeding edge, etc... and still, deeply dislike all these new environments. It's not a matter of hating change, people are just fully entitled to not have to like something for the sole reason of it being "new" and "different to the old".

There, I said it. Now, I summon all the trolls to quote and hate, but mind you, I couldn't care less
    I don't disagree with anything you said there

I'll try all available options when 13.10 and 14.04 roll out and then I'll decide which way to go, or possibly even stay with Precise until 16.04

There's just no reason to worry, and it's impossible to judge projects that are far from complete, so I'll just remain open to all of the alternatives
    Last edited by kansasnoob; February 5th, 2013 at 09:59 PM.

Beans

Re: yeah, an other gnome2 fork, and i like it

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Very cool

I've been using this DE solution for those who reject Unity and/or Gnome Shell:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370

In fact I have 30+ individual PC's setup that way using the Zukitwo themes and I've received no complaints of any magnitude.

After seeing SolusOS 2 Alpha 6 is still Debian based I'll definitely give it a look within just the next few days. My greatest worry is the move to PiSi package management, only because I know nothing about it

As far as I'm concerned there is no rush whatsoever because Precise is supported until April 2017, so rock on Ikey
    Hmm... Might try and install that on my Quantal in addition to Cinnamon and MATE to play with it.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213