Hello to everyone. I'm new to this wonderful community, and I've decided to ask for help with a problem.

I recently got an Intel powered classmate PC, with a 1.6 GHz proccesor (Intel Atom N450), 1 GB RAM DDR2, and Intel graphics. It came with dual-boot with Windows XP Professional SP3, and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

Recently, I've downloaded the Ubuntu 12.10 ISO image and made a booteable USB stick, to make a fresh install. I still have the Windows partition, since some other people around me need Windows-specific programs.
The installation went perfect. I have no problems with sound, graphics, and even with wireless connections.
I installed the original version of Ubuntu, then downloaded the GNOME classic and Xfce desktop environments.

The problem comes when I try to use the function keys of the machine (the ones activated by pressing FN+Fx). The only ones that work are the volume controls and the touchpad activator/deactivator. I have to say that the problem is the same in any Unity, GNOME or Xfce environments.

So, my question is, is there some way to solve this?

Thanks in advance.