Thread: OpenSSH Port Forwarding

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

OpenSSH Port Forwarding

I have a computer at my house running Xubuntu 12.04 with an OpenSSH server, and I would like to forward all my traffic to that computer in order to access my files and folders securely over SSH. I am currently connected to this server via VPN.

My client is running Mac OS X 10.7, however the syntax for the OpenSSH client is exactly the same as Ubuntu.

What I have been doing is using Proxifier to forward all my traffic through the socks proxy, however I would like to stop using that software because it is shareware.

What I Have Done
    I know that if I forward dynamically with ssh -D1080 user@host, I am able to set up my Firefox to use that dynamic forwarding port as a SOCKS proxy. I want to do this for an application that does not support a SOCKS proxy.

I know this is possible since you can tunnel a VNC connection through SSH, but I haven't figured out how to do that either.
    Last edited by dolphin194; January 17th, 2013 at 05:03 PM.
    Feel free to add me on Skype for a quicker response, but tell me you're from the forums!
    Read the following if you want, but I'm warning you: it may be complete nonsense!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: OpenSSH Port Forwarding

Hi dolphin194.

I think what you need is a system wide proxy. Take a look at this.

Note that some applications, like Firefox itself, can be set to both follow the system settings or ignore them. In other words, it's up to the application to follow the proxy settings.

I hope that points you in the right direction. Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Which application are you trying to forward and which port(s) does it use?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Note that some applications can be set to both follow the system settings or ignore them.
    Regards.
    The problem is the application I am trying to forward does not support a proxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    Which application are you trying to forward and which port(s) does it use?
    I am trying to forward FTP port 21.
    Feel free to add me on Skype for a quicker response, but tell me you're from the forums!
    Read the following if you want, but I'm warning you: it may be complete nonsense!

Beans
    Distro

FTP is an old and naughty protocol. It does not use exclusively port 21, as it open several other ports during its operation. I know it is not possible to tunnel it completely, and at this moment I don't know if it is possible configure it to use a proxy.

Alternative idea:

Since you are running a ssh server, it means sftp server it is already configured and ready to use. I would recommend taking a look at it.

Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans
    Distro

That's the thing I need to route traffic that doesn't support a proxy through the proxy anyway.

Now, what if I was to try and forward a game like World of Warcraft? There are absolutely no options to configure the ports, and I need to use that Proxifier program to route the game through the proxy.

Can I tunnel the ports used by World of Warcraft when it does not support a SOCKS proxy or do I have to use that Proxifier to forward all my traffic to the server?
    Last edited by dolphin194; January 18th, 2013 at 06:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro

What client are you using?

Are you open to use another client? If so, I believe Filezilla is both available for Max OS X, and handle its own proxy settings.

Just a thought.
    Regards.