Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another fraud, I find cables labelled cat 6 dont work

Beans
    Hidden!

Another fraud, I find cables labelled cat 6 dont work

I bought a new 100 foot CMPLE cat6 500mhz grey cable.
    Which of course was no good, my luck.
    I did get a full refund including shipping

As soon as I got it it was overflowing its tiny box.
    then I noticed the ends were melted.
    Then I look at the 'gold' connectors and they look oddly tarnished
    Then I plug it in and of course can only connect at 100, not at gigabit speeds.

I was wondering if it is worth it to put new ends on this and see if it can work at gigabit speeds?

I peeled back the cracked cover and do these wires look like it has enough twist?

What is a known good working cat 6 brand to buy?

some pics

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Another fraud, I find cables labelled cat 6 dont work

you don't need cat6 cables to get gigabyte speeds. check your ethernet ports on your boxes are set to full duplex. not sure where you heard that only cat6 cables produce gigabyte speeds? if the NIC is gigabyte, you'll get gigabyte speeds as long as both NICs are gigabyte

Beans
    Hidden!

All of my other cables are cat 5e and only 2 dont work at gigabit speed.

When I buy new cables I buy cat 6.

I have seen pictures of good looking cat6 where you can see the twists on the outer jacket and the cables look thicker.

This cat6 I bought is not any thicker than my cat5e cables and feels and looks the same.

So this looks better, any ideas?
    Who would sell local at decent price? I am so used to buying online, I dont know where to go.
    http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orde...&rsite=&rcode=

Beans
    Hidden!

Notice the huge twist diff between cat5 and cat6?

The cable I bought has very little twist, and consequently, of course born out by it did not work.
    Looking at this example, the cable I bought looks most like cat5.

http://www.howtogeek.com/70494/what-...-should-i-use/

Beans

I bought a box of Cat6 cable from Home Depot, along with Cat6 connectors since nobody else in the area had any. I did my wiring job without issue and am quite happy with my Cat6 network at home. I very rarely buy pre-made cables since most of the cabling I do requires a very specific length, hence the box + connectors plan.
    Last edited by Roasted; January 17th, 2013 at 05:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There is a lot of crappy cable out there. I make my own cables with Belden or Gepco (made in USA) cable, and decent Cat6 crimps. A crimping frame is not that expensive and testing my cables vs store-bought has always shown that I get higher throughput with my own handywork.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Structured cabling we obviously punch down, but I tend to buy in patch cables. crimping cat6 to within spec in a PITA, and I know they are unlikely to be as good as a factory-form.

Beans
    Hidden!

Do you think buying Cat 7 would be more likely to work than cat 6 for my gigabit lan?

Item is
    Rosewill RCW-100-CAT7-BL 100 ft. Cat 7 Blue Shielded Twisted Pair (S/STP) Networking Cable
    NewEgg sells for $20

Shielded cable, after buying what was supposed to be cat6 and getting garbage, I think maybe jump to cat7 might give me better chance of it working.
    What do you think? I dont want to waste my time on lousy cables.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

One of the issues with buying 100-foot patch cables is that they are made with stranded cable. OK for short patch cables and vibration environments, but you get a lot of signal loss with stranded cable at that distance. That is why crimping your own cable (from a quality-controlled wire supplier) with solid copper cable makes sense at these distances.

And it's true, punchdowns and 3' to 6' patch cables don't fit this do-it-yourself category. But for most home/small business structural wiring, you are better served crimping your own than relying on a 100' pre-made cable--if you want high performance.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have an 80 ft section of cat 5e running under the house which works most of the time at gigabit speeds. I get from 35 to 50MB/sec
    Cable ends go into straight thru joiner female couplers set into the wall. Then I plug a short patch cord to PC and switch.

Sometimes the connection drops down to 100, or on a boot. Then I have to unplug and replug to restore 1000. Once it settles on a 100, you got to unplug and replug, it never adjusts itself higher.
    This was with direct connection from PC to PC

Couple days ago I started using a 5 port trendnet gigabit switch, and will see if it stays on 1000. So far it seems to be more likely to stay at 1000.

So was wondering if that cat5e is sort of borderlne, works when it feels like it and if upgrading the cable would make it work better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast