Thread: Dualboot on mac - small problem

Beans

Dualboot on mac - small problem

Hi
    I'm new to ubuntu but i want to give it a more realistic try after playing aroundt with the liveCD.
    I want to dualboot on my mac from mid 2010. Its intel and running OS 10.7.5
    I have been following the guide at
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...elInstallation

After i have booted the liveCD and want to install the guid and the pictures on my screen don't match anymore. The guide must be for another distro.
    I have createde to extra partitions. One EXT4 for install and a 2 gb linux swap.

When i want to install i have 3 options.
    1: only ubuntu install
    2. Both Mac OS and ubuntu
    3: Another

I have tried both 2 and 3.
    When I use the "another" i set the ext4 partition at my install partition and set it at root (/). When i press install im asked to create a "bios....." partition on at least 1 mb. I thought that the rEFIt was my boot software. How to i create a bios partition?
    I have tried to continue the install without the bios ... partition.
    When my mac boot up i chose ubuntu and the it freezes and don't boot into ubuntu.

When i tried the both mac and ubuntu install i was not giving many options. But afte install it still didn't work. When open gparted from the liveCD after this install i could se a bios partition.

Has the ubuntu installer on the liveCD become independent of rEFIt. Would i help uninstall rEFIt, the undo my partitions and expand the macOS partition to the whole disk. The boot the liveCD and install the both Mac OS and ubuntu option.

I hope that you are able to help me otherwise i must give up ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Dualboot on mac - small problem

1) Model of Mac? Specs?

2) The second install option should have been the correct one. In that case, you should have only needed 3 partitions on your HDD, a small (100mb?) one OS X uses for recovery, your main OS X partition, and then an unformated partition for your Ubuntu install. You would get to format this partition into EXT4 format as part of the Ubuntu install process.

Hope this helps.