Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Are Welcomes To New Members Frowned Upon ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Are Welcomes To New Members Frowned Upon ?

    Hi,
    When reading the opening posts by new members in the Welcome To New Members Thread, I admit at times I have been tempted to respond personally to those posts. I realize the Moderators do post welcomes but I consider it likely that new members would appreciate a "personal touch" given to them nearer to the time of their post.
    My question therefore is - Would such postings be frowned upon ? - perhaps it may clog up the thread too much ?

    Just my $0.02 cents worth.

    Cheers -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.

    PopularPages Wiki Thread

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Beans
    40,291
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Are Welcomes To New Members Frowned Upon ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlinkinCat View Post
    .. but I consider it likely that new members would appreciate a "personal touch" given to them nearer to the time of their post.
    I think you are right, always nice to get a reply to your post, especially if it is your first.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The New Forest
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

    Re: Are Welcomes To New Members Frowned Upon ?

    Would such postings be frowned upon ? -
    Not in the slightest - most times - we've replied because either

    - no-one else has
    - we merged it from elsewhere


    perhaps it may clog up the thread too much ?
    Unlike say ANY thread in the games section - the conky thread ...

    Go ahead - make their day

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Are Welcomes To New Members Frowned Upon ?

    Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    I think you are right, always nice to get a reply to your post, especially if it is your first.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Not in the slightest - most times - we've replied because either

    - no-one else has
    - we merged it from elsewhere


    Unlike say ANY thread in the games section - the conky thread ...

    Go ahead - make their day
    Both of your posts are very encouraging - Thanks for that -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.

    PopularPages Wiki Thread

  5. #5

    Re: Are Welcomes To New Members Frowned Upon ?

    If there was enough time in the day I am sure the staff would love to welcome each and every new member to the forum...
    404

    Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The New Forest
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

    Re: Are Welcomes To New Members Frowned Upon ?

    Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    If there was enough time in the day I am sure the staff would love to welcome each and every new member to the forum...
    At least one member of staff does that - whoever happens to have their name on the welcome PM

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tewkesbury uk
    Beans
    7,916
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Are Welcomes To New Members Frowned Upon ?

    I used to welcome new members before i became staff. I thought it was a nice thing to do.

    No one told me not to do it. I don't believe the policy has changed, so go for it.

    As long as the thread does not become more welcomes than introductions then i can see no problem with it.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Are Welcomes To New Members Frowned Upon ?

    Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    If there was enough time in the day I am sure the staff would love to welcome each and every new member to the forum...
    Thanks for your input not found - I was thinking that perhaps I could start another thread in the cafe sometime in the future reminding members that they could/would do just that - it would be far better that welcomes were from numerous people and not jut me. What do you think ?
    Cheers -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.

    PopularPages Wiki Thread

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The New Forest
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

    Re: Are Welcomes To New Members Frowned Upon ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlinkinCat View Post
    Thanks for your input not found - I was thinking that perhaps I could start another thread in the cafe sometime in the future reminding members that they could/would do just that - it would be far better that welcomes were from numerous people and not jut me. What do you think ?
    Cheers -
    I'd not bother to be honest - there are welcomes in that thread from various other people - those that do it - do, those that don't - don't

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Are Welcomes To New Members Frowned Upon ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    I'd not bother to be honest - there are welcomes in that thread from various other people - those that do it - do, those that don't - don't
    O.K. Elfy, I will let it slide and just do it from time to time - there may be others like me who have been holding back because they were waiting for others do do it.

    All the best to all staff members for your words of encouragement -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.

    PopularPages Wiki Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •