So, for whatever reason that I can't now remember, I zeroed out the superblocks on a Raid-1 array that I had on an old system before moving the drives to a different system. Now, some months later, I'm trying to get the data off just one of the disks that was part of the Raid array on a different system. The drive shows up as /dev/sda1 and 'Linux raid autodetect' type drive with fdisk.

However, I can't mount the drive at all, even when I specify the filesystem type with "mount -t ext4 /dev/sda1 /mnt/mntpt".

I've tried to re-create the Raid array with mdadm by using "mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda1 missing". The array gets created, but when I try to mount it with "mount -t ext4 /dev/md0 /mnt/mntpt", I get claims that the fs isn't correct.

I've also tried to use "e2fsck -f -b XXXX /dev/sda1" to try to repair the superblock on the device (XXXX is any of the blocks specified by mke2fs), but none of the blocks listed appear to work - e2fsck claims the superblock can't be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem...

I'm running dry on ideas for what can be done to get the drive back in working order... any help would be appreciated.