Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Only Logs Into Guest After Fresh Install Of Xubuntu 12.04.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Only Logs Into Guest After Fresh Install Of Xubuntu 12.04.

Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    It must be something in the configuration files of the /home directory that you are "keeping". You could try, from the Ctrl+Alt+F1 console screen to rename the existing $HOME/.config/xfce4 directory:
    Code:
    mv $HOME/.config/xfce4 $HOME/.config/xfce4.BAK
    ...but keep in mind that this will reset xfce and you will lose all of your existing Xfce customizations.
    Do I just do this when logged into new user or the original user ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Make sure you are not logged in as the original user. Go to the first tty (Ctrl+Alt+F1), login to the text console there as he original user, and run the command.

Then go back to the GUI (Ctrl+Alt+F7) and login as the original user and see if its back to normal.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Make sure you are not logged in as the original user. Go to the first tty (Ctrl+Alt+F1), login to the text console there as he original user, and run the command.

Then go back to the GUI (Ctrl+Alt+F7) and login as the original user and see if its back to normal.
    Other than loss of wallpaper (no prob) all works with files etc intact. Should I repeat the excercise with the other 3 users or does the command need to be varied?

I am very grateful for all of your help Toz -

I think I made a mistake and was logged in as original User.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I think that you only need to do this with users who you are keeping their home directories. For any new users, they seem to be fine.

If you need to do this again, the command will remain the same for all user accounts because $HOME will always reference the current user's home directory - whoever the current user may be.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I think that you only need to do this with users who you are keeping their home directories. For any new users, they seem to be fine.

If you need to do this again, the command will remain the same for all user accounts because $HOME will always reference the current user's home directory - whoever the current user may be.
    I will set about resetting the other 3 users accounts then. I didn't seem to mess anything up by being logged into original user account other than the loss of wall paper - all files are intact. I am very grateful for all of your help Toz - likely I will be marking as "solved" unless I catch up with you later. Must be getting a little late there -

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi Toz,

Ran all commands for 4 users - deleted new account that I had created.
    Everything now seems to be fine thanks very much with just a little tidying up to do.

You are a genius Toz

Will now mark as "solved"

Cheers -
    Last edited by BlinkinCat; January 18th, 2013 at 05:16 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi Toz,

I have re-opened this thread briefly to ask if the command in post #20 could have resulted in the users losing their sudo privileges ? I receive a message "user is not in sudoers file" when I try to issue a sudo command in my minor 3 user accounts. To clarify, I am the only user on this machine using the other 3 users for such things as bookmarks, etc.

Could the issue be rectified via Case 1A of - http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/fixsudo ?
    I wasn't sure if the method would work for Xubuntu.

Edit: Boy oh Boy am I embarrassed -

After doing a little thinking, I realized I could achieve what I wanted with the following command on my main user account.
    Code:
    sudo adduser username sudo
    All the best Toz if you read this, I have learnt a lot from both you and CharlesA in the last few weeks. Thanks kindly for that - I will again mark as Solved.

Cheers -
    Last edited by BlinkinCat; January 19th, 2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Added Edit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123