Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do I need to know about this Java issue everyone's talking about?

Beans

Re: What do I need to know about this Java issue everyone's talking about?

I would like to remove Java, but like Soul-Sing said, Minecraft uses Java as it's game engine. Hopefully this issue with Java will convince Mojang to use something other than Java.
    "The difference between Linux and Windows is that with Linux you're in the driver's seat, but with Windows, Microsoft is driving...and you're tied up and locked in the trunk."
    -Gster4

Beans

Mojang won't stop using Java. But I suggest you disable the Java web plugin in your browser.
    sig

Beans

Re: What should we do about the recent Java Security issue?

Quote Originally Posted by HunterDX77M View Post
    My question is as Ubuntu users, is there something specific we should do prevent any damage to our computers?
    There's no good answer unless you don't need Java, in which case it's simple: totally uninstall Java and the browser plugins. Then run away screaming.

If you need Java then unplug it from the browsers and only enable it when you absolutely need it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Smile Re: What should we do about the recent Java Security issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Daisy View Post
    There's no good answer unless you don't need Java, in which case it's simple: totally uninstall Java and the browser plugins. Then run away screaming.

If you need Java then unplug it from the browsers and only enable it when you absolutely need it.
    This (along with a few other responses) really clarified things for me. I'm sure you can appreciate that someone less familiar, who understands there's a potential security issue related to a java-something, wants to minimize their risk of exposure. For now, I've removed (and purged) Java via Synaptic and disabled Firefox's java capabilities. Unforunately, doing that seems to goof up my ability to create new posts on (for example) Identi.ca. ...Nothing that can't be worked around, I suppose. TYVM!

Soul-Sing is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Then use Quickjava. A firefox add-on. You'r able to block/unblock java and javascript with a click.

Beans

My situation is similar to the original questioner.
    Update was saying it wanted to update OpenJDK, so I went into Software Centre and removed it. It is now not flagged as installed. I unchecked the updates, and re-checked for updates, and they were still required. Rebooted. Update still wants to update openJDK. Software Centre says I haven't got it installed.

What next ?

Beans

If you want it entirely removed from your computer then type
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge openJDK

Beans

That gave: "E: Unable to locate package openJDK", but it must have cleaned up some loose ends because Update is now clear. Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123