Thread: [help] How to install nVidia drivers on 15' Retina MBP with Ubuntu 12.04 64bit?

Beans

Question [help] How to install nVidia drivers on 15' Retina MBP with Ubuntu 12.04 64bit?

I have used rEFIt to achieve triple-boot on my 15' Retina Macbook Pro. However, for now I cannot get the nVidia drivers to work under Ubuntu 12.04 x64.

Every time after I installed the nVidia Driver, X won't restart, and give me an error of "No screens found".

I have tried both drivers from nVidia's website and drivers from Proprietary Drivers in Ubuntu's System Settings. They do exhibit different behaviors, though. Drivers from nVidia's website will create a seemingly correct xorg.conf file. Drivers from Ubuntu's System Settings, however, gives me a xorg.conf with only the following:

Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Default Device"
    	Option	"NoLogo"	"True"
    EndSection
    I can run nvidia-xconfig in the shell, though, and after that I get the following xorg.conf, but starting X failed with the error "No screens found", too:

Code:
    # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
    # nvidia-xconfig:  version 304.64  (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-12)  Tue Oct 30 12:04:46 PDT 2012

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Layout0"
        Screen      0  "Screen0"
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        # generated from default
        Identifier     "Mouse0"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "Protocol" "auto"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        # generated from default
        Identifier     "Keyboard0"
        Driver         "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier     "Monitor0"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        ModelName      "Unknown"
        HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
        VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
        Option         "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen0"
        Device         "Device0"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    For additional information, I have tried running

Code:
    lspci -e | grep VGA
    and only found the nVidia card listed. I assume that this means that the integrated graphics on my machine is disabled under Ubuntu.

Other information about my system: I am running Mac OS X 10.8.2, and used Boot Camp to install Windows 8. After that I resized the BOOTCAMP partition with GParted, and installed Ubuntu on the new partition. The graphics card of my system is nVidia GT 650M.

So anyway, could you tell me how to get the nVidia drivers working? I am a noob and really need help.

Thanks A LOT!!!

P.S. I am not hoping to get the full retina experience. All I want is getting 3D acceleration working under 1440x900.
    P.S. Is it possible to get EFI booting working while preserving the ability to run Windows? I have tried EFI booting once, but could not get X to start, despite the fact that everything (from Grub to splash) is rendered at native resolution.
    Last edited by HarryX; January 19th, 2013 at 05:18 AM.

Beans

Re: [help] How to install nVidia drivers on 15' Retina MBP with Ubuntu 12.04 64bit?

Solved. It seems that I have to convert my installation to EFI booting to get the driver working. Anyway, now I am running 13.04 daily build for Macs, and got the graphics to work following cberner's guide:

HTML Code:
    http://cberner.com/2012/10/
    And I am running this thing under full 2880x1800 resolution. by the way, his instructions for WiFi worked fine for me, too.

Beans

Re: [help] How to install nVidia drivers on 15' Retina MBP with Ubuntu 12.04 64bit?

P.S. Sorry about the title. I have tried this guide with EFI booting on Ubuntu 12.04 and no luck.