Thread: Brother MFC-8500 scanner stopped working randomly

Beans

Brother MFC-8500 scanner stopped working randomly

I have two scanners attached to my computer, a Brother MFC-8500 and an HP Photosmart C4210. I was using gscan2pdf with the HP and accidentally set it to scan "all" pages instead of just one from the flatbed. A known issue caused the scanner to continuously scan with no way of stopping it. I turned off the scanner, saved the document and the tried scanning a different document with the Brother scanner. Instead of the normal operation I usually get, I instead got "Unable to open device, Invalid Argument"

scanimage -L gives me:
    Code:
    WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /run/user/**********/pkcs11: No such file or directory
    device `brother:bus4;dev1' is a Brother MFC-8500 USB scanner
    device `hpaio:/usb/Photosmart_C4200_series?serial=CN7ACNF046055B' is a Hewlett-Packard Photosmart_C4200_series all-in-one
    this does not seem to align with lsusb:
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 011: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. 4-Port HUB
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bc2:5071 Seagate RSS LLC 
    Bus 004 Device 002: ID 2040:4903 Hauppauge HS PVR
    Bus 004 Device 004: ID 04f9:0113 Brother Industries, Ltd MFC-8500
    Bus 006 Device 002: ID 09da:0006 A4 Tech Co., Ltd Optical Mouse WOP-35 / Trust 450L Optical Mouse
    Bus 006 Device 003: ID 046e:5542 Behavior Tech. Computer Corp. 
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 012: ID 046d:c21d Logitech, Inc. F310 Gamepad [XInput Mode]
    Bus 001 Device 013: ID 0409:005a NEC Corp. HighSpeed Hub
    Bus 001 Device 014: ID 0c45:6340 Microdia 
    Bus 001 Device 015: ID 03f0:5c11 Hewlett-Packard PhotoSmart C4200 Printer series
    Bus 001 Device 016: ID 04e6:5116 SCM Microsystems, Inc. SCR331-LC1 / SCR3310 SmartCard Reader
    uname -r
    Code:
    3.5.0-17-generic
    lsb_release -a
    Code:
    LSB Version:    core-2.0-amd64:core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-amd64:core-3.0-noarch:core-3.1-amd64:core-3.1-noarch:core-3.2-amd64:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-amd64:core-4.0-noarch
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu 12.10
    Release:        12.10
    Codename:       quantal
    dpkg -l brscan
    Code:
    ii  brscan         0.2.4        amd64        Brother CUPS Printer Definitions
    hours of searching have given lots of helpful suggestions including modifying /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules and adding
    Code:
    # Brother scanners
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
    also copying brscandec, brcolm, and sane libraries from /usr/lib64 to /usr/lib. I had to do all thisto get it working the first time and that hasn't changed.

I uninstalled and re-installed sane and the brscan packages. I checked the Brother website for help. I also have done the obvious and rebooted.

So far nothing has managed to solve my problem, which has made a scanner that has been working great act like there is something wrong that it cant work. Any help would be appreciated.

Beans

Re: Brother MFC-8500 scanner stopped working randomly

I get the same error. Everything was working fine for a month and now the same error. Mine gives an error in gnome-keyring with the data file in the tmp directory. I'm thinking a security key was stored there and, as should be expected, the tmp directory got cleaned out.

Mark

Beans

A bit more after a couple of days of searching. Following a hunch, I bet that the problem wasn't with the scanner or scanner software at all. I chased gnome-keyring down its rabbit hole.

Here's the upshot. When you login the gnome-keyring server copies the encryption keys for software you have access to somewhere in a session file for you. Then any software uses the lib to check that key. Guessing somewhere in Brother's software they check their key. The hiccup comes if somehow the chain (notice I didn't say path) to that key gets lost or broken. In my case, I'm running Linux Mint which instead of using gnome-keyring-* uses mate-keyring-*. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, and it wasn't when I installed the scanner. Because the Brother software installed in to the Mate keyring. What broke things for me is when I installed another piece of gnome software which instead of using mate-keyring, goes back to using gnome-keyring. So, it installed gnome-keyring* which then claimed to be the default keyring manager. But, since it was just installed it had no idea about the rest of my Linux Mint system and badaboom, badabang things started breaking. Soooo..... How to fix? I'm not sure of a the permanent fix but I found a workaround, at least for me.

Look in
    /etc/xdg/autostart/

you will find a bunch of gnome-keyring-* files. You may also find mate-keyring-* files or other somesuch as xfce-keyring-*, etc. In each of these files (gnome-) there is a line,

OnlyShowIn=GNOME;Unity; {there may be others}

This tells gnome-keyring when to start a local keyring copy. My solution was to add the other environments.

OnlyShowIn=GNOME;Unity;MATE;LXDE;XFCE

I then rebooted my machine. Don't know if a reboot was exactly required but since this was such a low-level thing and I had already spent days tackling this problem, I went with the complete option. Now, I have both mate-keyring* and gnome-keyring running concurrently. Since they both share the same base keyring files, they seem to work ok; just each serving to the whichever program asks for them personally.

This may or may not fix your problem, but I hope it gives you a vector to search.

Hope this helps,
    Mark

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Impressive detective work. I've had good luck with Brother all-in-ones and this is something I'll keep in mind. Good job.