Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: transfering Windows XP from one computer to VirtualBox on an Ubuntu system

Beans

Re: transfering Windows XP from one computer to VirtualBox on an Ubuntu system

Here's what I would do.

1. Move all your data from the xp machine. (probably to the ubuntu machine)
    2. Find the licence on the bottom of your laptop and copy it. (taking note which kind of xp it is)
    3. Install xp in virtualbox using that licence. You will need to 'find' the ISO of that particular xp, ie. 'home' or 'media' editions do matter, however you dont need to worry about which SP though really.
    4. Install over the top of your laptop with another OS such as Ubuntu. (this avoids the two licence issue)
    5. Move the data back onto your xp machine. (virtualbox shared folder? windows xp doesnt have my favourite budy ssh/scp)

I believe this is all completely legal. One licence of windows remains in use. I'm not sure how legal it would be to torrent a copy of xp as long as you are using a licence you paid for....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: transfering Windows XP from one computer to VirtualBox on an Ubuntu system

thanks for all the help guys!!!

after weighing my options and trying a few of the suggestions, i have decided to try to track down a windows XP disk use that instead.

XP was OEM on the laptop and i cant't find half the stickers on it (VERY used computer) and so i don't think i'll be able to get it to run even if i successfully image the windows files.

i'll mark the thread as solved but if any of you have an idea that could still word, feel free to comment.
    insanity: because its more fun the 9001st time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12