Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trouble Connecting and/or Using

Beans

Re: Trouble Connecting and/or Using

Warren: Here is the results of your 2nd request:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

Zill: The IP addy for the router is 192.168.1.1 - I agree that this doesn't seem right in the results, but I have absolutely NO idea what to do about it.

Beans

Additional, mostly to Zill:
    I was able to go to that addy on my computer that is also on wifi. It got me access to the router's admin console. HOWEVER, when I tried it on my wife's compaq (the one that has ubuntu), I got nothing. All this tells me that it isn't connected. If this is true, why does the icon on the taskbar next to the volume say I'm connected 100%. This is the part that is really throwing me...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dugorek View Post
    ...If this is true, why does the icon on the taskbar next to the volume say I'm connected 100%. This is the part that is really throwing me...
    AIUI, this applet indicates wifi connection strength, not wired connections. I would first concentrate on getting a wired connection working properly and then move on to the wifi configuration.

Assuming you are using the "network-manager" GUI applet, this provides a "managed" connection that is independent of the contents of /etc/network/interfaces.

Firstly, you need to ensure that your new router actually has your chosen address 192.168.1.1. Test for this from a "working" machine with the following command:
    Code:
    ping 192.168.1.1 -c5
    If you get an error (such as "Destination Net Unreachable") then the router address needs to be changed via the router config screen. You may find it best to do a "hard reset" of the router to set everything back to defaults and then re-enter your ISP broadband details.

Secondly, use the router config screen to check that the router DHCP server is "on" so that it will deliver IP addresses to connected clients.

Thirdly, plug the ethernet cable in to link the (suspect) computer to the router. Right-click on the network-manager icon and ensure that "Enable Networking" is checked. Click on "Edit Connections" and select the "Wired" tab. "Auto eth0" should be selected. Close this screen.

Right-click on the network-manager icon and select "Connection Information". The tab entitled "Auto eth0" should show the following:
    IP Address: (your PC IP address obtained via DHCP)
    Broadcast Address: 192.168.1.255
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Route: 192.168.1.1
    Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1

See if you can browse the web with the wired connection. Please advise if this works or advise any discrepancies from the above.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Do you have any other machines connected to the router (wired or wifi, doesn't matter) that are connecting to the internet OK? If yes, then your DHCP and DNS services seem to be working correctly on the router. That being the case then something is screwed up with your Ubu box network settings. It could be that network-manager has somehow become corrupted. Uninstalling it (completely) and then re-installing it should reset it.
    Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com

Beans

Okay, for some reason, this time the ethernet connection worked, so I'm a step further than I was. Zill, looking at the expected connection information, it all matches up, EXCEPT for the primary DNS, which according to the info the system gives me is 207.191.192.130 - It is clear this is the problem. Can anyone tell me how to change it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

dugorek: Assuming we are just talking about the Network Manager wired ethernet connection for now (wifi can be done later!) it seems that the "Default Route" is 192.168.1.1 and the "Primary DNS" is 207.191.192.130.

As the "Primary DNS" should be the same address as the router, it is possible that your Network Manager connection is corrupted. I would try deleting the (Wired) "Auto eth0" connection. Then reboot the computer and (hopefully!) a new "Auto eth0" will have appeared and "Connection Information" should now show the correct DNS IP (192.168.1.1). You should now be able to browse the web.

As an additional check I suggest you open the config screen of the router (enter 192.168.1.1 in to your web browser) and then check the router DNS settings. You should have one or two IP addresses supplied by your ISP for their DNS servers. If you wish you could use different DNS servers such as Google's (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

Beans

if there are a number of systems using the wifi there might be a possibility of ip conflict

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12