Thread: MacBook Pro Retina 13"-Getting It working-Need Help Please

Beans

MacBook Pro Retina 13"-Getting It working-Need Help Please

Hi all, so I just finished High School, got a scolarship for an I.T Degree, and they gave me one of these. First off, beautiful piece of hardware. OSX sucks. I've dipped into Ubuntu a few times on my own home pc, and quite liked it, I boot it up all the time, but keep windows for games. Anyway. My goal is, to have Ubuntu on my laptop, fully functioning.
    Anyway, I was following this guide http://cberner.com/2012/10/
    I got up to step three, but when I added nomodeset to "quiet splash" so it was "quiet splash nomodeset" whenever I boot into ubuntu it's just command line? What was nomodeset meant to do? What have I done wrong?

Cheers
    Foxhound

Beans

Re: MacBook Pro Retina 13"-Getting It working-Need Help Please

Quote Originally Posted by FOXH0UND View Post
    Hi all, so I just finished High School, got a scolarship for an I.T Degree, and they gave me one of these. First off, beautiful piece of hardware. OSX sucks. I've dipped into Ubuntu a few times on my own home pc, and quite liked it, I boot it up all the time, but keep windows for games. Anyway. My goal is, to have Ubuntu on my laptop, fully functioning.
    Anyway, I was following this guide http://cberner.com/2012/10/
    I got up to step three, but when I added nomodeset to "quiet splash" so it was "quiet splash nomodeset" whenever I boot into ubuntu it's just command line? What was nomodeset meant to do? What have I done wrong?

Cheers
    Foxhound
    Use 13.04 (3.8 linux kernel), hopefully, 15" retina support for 13.04 (i.e. 3.8 kernel) will work in 13" retina machine. No support for retina in 12.04.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nsicad View Post
    Use 13.04 (3.8 linux kernel), hopefully, 15" retina support for 13.04 (i.e. 3.8 kernel) will work in 13" retina machine. No support for retina in 12.04.
    Hmm, the only difference between the two machines is that the 13" runs the Intel HD 4000 graphics adapter, where as the 15" runs the Nvidia GT650m, and the resolution of course.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nsicad View Post
    Well, I installed it, but now I'm having issues, it only goes into command line? It said it had some graphical errors?