Thread: How to start bootp (installing over network)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How to start bootp (installing over network)

Hello,

I'm trying to install mint Linux across a network, to an old laptop which will boot from the network card. I have a machine running Ubuntu 12.10 to use as the server.

There are various guides around, all of which are a little bit different, but I am using this one:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LocalNet

I am confused by the line "Start bootp: Here is a wrapper to start and stop bootpd from the command line" - this is followed by a number of lines of code.

If bootp is a service, why can't it be started with "sudo service bootp restart"? (It can't - I've tried). And I don't understand what the significance of the code is - it looks like it should be saved into a file somewhere, but that's all I can understand.

Another question concerns the use of a DHCP server. I understand a DHCP server as being something that hands out IP addresses on a network, and my broadband router does this for me. Some of the network installation guides give instructions to set up a DHCP server on your computer. Why would you need to do this, particualrly given that haing two such servers on a network will cause confusion?

All help welcomed - thanks in advance.

Oli

Beans

Re: How to start bootp (installing over network)

Hi!

Now, i'm not an expert in this, but i have been looking arround alot probably for a similar reason to yours.

Hopefully by now you know your answer, however for futur searchers, this is how i used the "wrapper".

I created i file called bootp in the init.d directory
    Code:
    sudo editor /etc/initi.d/bootp
    in this file i pasted the "wrapper" code.

then i gave it the proper persmissions:

Code:
    sudo chmod 755 /etc/init.d/bootp
    now, if i type

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/bootp restart
    it restarts.

Hope this helps someone.