Thread: Suggestions on UPS that works well with Ubuntu

Hybrid View

Beans

Question Suggestions on UPS that works well with Ubuntu

Hello,

Does anyone have suggestions on purchasing an uninterupted power supply (UPS) that works easily in Ubunutu -- either models that work particularly well or models to avoid?

My linux skills are not too great and I don't have lots of extra time on my hands, so I'm hoping to find something that more or less works out of the box, including the automated shutdown on blackouts.

Thanks very much for any suggestions you might have.

Alex

Beans

Re: Suggestions on UPS that works well with Ubuntu

I like APC because it is well-supported in Linux.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use an APC UPS as well, but it makes little to no difference in my opinion....UPS units are OS agnostic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I like the older APC units with metal cases. The plastic ones melt and tend to catch fire.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by d4m1r View Post
    I use an APC UPS as well, but it makes little to no difference in my opinion....UPS units are OS agnostic.
    Only if the device includes software that works with Linux as well as Windows. The apcupsd daemon executes a graceful shutdown when the batteries run low, and it can notify the other machines on the network so they can shut down gracefully as well.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I run two APC SmartUPS units, a 3000va and a 1500va, both with Remote Access Cards. The cards give you a Web interface to interact with, as well as a way to have it talk to a monitoring server.

Go APC, linux support is pretty native (especially in their higher end models)
    Where there's a will, there's a way.

Doing something fun in Linux? Stuck somewhere and bent on solving it yourself? Give Calomel some lovin' over here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by geudrik View Post
    I run two APC SmartUPS units, a 3000va and a 1500va, both with Remote Access Cards. The cards give you a Web interface to interact with, as well as a way to have it talk to a monitoring server.

Go APC, linux support is pretty native (especially in their higher end models)
    Thank you all very much for the advice! It sounds like APC is the way to go.

I'm not familiar with remote access cards. Should I add them as a card to the computer attached to the UPS? Do they come with the UPS or are they bought separately?