Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Social Media Integration - Oh how you plague me!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Social Media Integration - Oh how you plague me!

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    It's 2013, and the internet is facebook, wikipedia, and lolcats; everything else is a secondary consideration.
    I agree with you completely. I do however regret that the internet has become synonymous with social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter when it is actually vastly so much more. Social networking has its advantages no doubt but I feel it is becoming an inordinately important part of our lives which I feel is not such good thing. This is only my opinion though and so I speak only for myself.

Peace.
    I've lit a lamp in many a storm...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sharathpaps View Post
    I agree with you completely. I do however regret that the internet has become synonymous with social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter when it is actually vastly so much more. Social networking has its advantages no doubt but I feel it is becoming an inordinately important part of our lives which I feel is not such good thing. This is only my opinion though and so I speak only for myself.

Peace.
    Dont use them then
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    Dont use them then
    I don't . I used to but not any more. I do observe people around me using them though and it is them that I speak about.
    I've lit a lamp in many a storm...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Fet600 View Post
    My point was more along the lines of how things are getting integrated into the OS as part of the standard installation with an increasing emphasis on social media. I was curious about how many people want this and whether I was simply out of touch with modern communication practices.
    Well these services are extremely popular, so it's not unreasonable to think that people will find integrating them useful.

Beans

I'm glad to know that there are other people out there who aren't won over by the idea of integrating social media into the OS, though I do understand that the standard build of any OS has to lean towards what the majority want.

I liked the point that Sharathpaps mentioned about social networking becoming inordinately important. I think this is true and I'm hoping that things will level out a bit and become less focused on social media as it is just one facet of what the internet has to offer.

To those who do use social media I say that you should enjoy yourselves.

To those who are fed up with social media I would like to propose that we break away from Ubuntu to form a new distro called IDon'tLikeYouBuntu. It's an ancient African saying that means 'I am what I am because of who we all are but I don't want to talk to you about it.'

(Just to clarify: The above statement was humour. If you found it funny then please 'Like' it on the nearest social media app you can find.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post

It's 2013, and the internet is facebook, wikipedia, and lolcats
    And ponies

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I do use IM services, and tried the integration thing...

But decided I actually only like IM on my phone.

Perhaps when I graduate to Ubuntu Phone OS (on my desktop), I'll try it again. That is the future: Complete integration. Perhaps unfortunate, but true.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fet600 View Post

Ironically, this seems to be the direction that Ubuntu is heading as well, so it made me wonder if this was just something that I didn't like or if other people found it annoying as well?
    Well this is the over all direction of most operating systems. Companies have to give the consumers what they want.

Now I don't understand why your so annoyed with this as OSX and even Ubuntu do or would make this clearly an option. I run OSX Mnt Lion with Messages turned on to my Facebook Page. Its convenient to get updates, but if someone like yourself doesn't like it. Its not a requirement and is turned off by default. But lots of software companies are doing this, even my Adobe Lightroom 4 has options built right in to upload to Facebook and other social media websites. Hey this is what the consumer base asked for. You will find it one windows as well if I am not mistaken these days.

But honestly OSX 10.8 is wonderful and you should really check it out. I am a old Gnome user at heart since 1998 and OSX is now what GNOME should have evolved into.

Dont get me wrong, you are sure to love Ubuntu and we are glad to have you here. Its the best Linux Desktop out period, hands down..
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm not much of a social network lover myself, i do use the Facebook, but don't need emails or desktop notifications of something new. So as long as i can turn off the desktop intregration in fine with the option.
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I am a grumpy old man and just upgraded to a smartphone. The interface was very busy/sexy but virtually every colourful icon was just a bookmark to a web site. So I deleted them all and now have a very clean/boring (depending on your point of view) interface. I guess you can use the same approach to your Desktop/OS. I am not a fan of Apple so I don't know how much you can turn/switch things off - from what I understand Apple decide what you want to do on their products rather than you so maybe your better off with Linux.
    Last edited by Quarkrad; January 18th, 2013 at 11:13 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast